Before multiplexing

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn’t copper one of the criticisms of electric cars. It takes something like 100 times the copper in an electric car compared to ICE? Maybe just an anti electric car point.

Isn’t copper one of the criticisms of electric cars. It takes something like 100 times the copper in an electric car compared to ICE? Maybe just an anti electric car point.
I think it’s lithium. But wasn’t even doing a political post or whatever, just amazed at all the lines doing telephony

I think it’s lithium. But wasn’t even doing a political post or whatever, just amazed at all the lines doing telephony
Yes lithium but also copper due to high current needs good conduction for the power transfer from and in the motors and switching. I need to find the quote. It was an article about the impossible nature of trying to replace all the ICE. Cars with electric cars and the monumental challenge of material needs. It actual is more like 4 to 7 times used as far as copper.

That said sorry for the hijack of the thread. I’ll stop my diversion in this thread.

Last edited:
On a separate thought: can you imagine the sheer number of big, inefficient tube amplifiers that early phone systems required?

I've never really researched into it, but I do know early long distance telephone calls required many repeater amplifiers, placed at strategic points along the great lengths of copper wires. The legendary Western Electric 300B power triode's major use when first produced in 1938 was as the output stage in such amplifiers, a full 50 years before it became trendy with audiophiles. Supposedly, its extremely high linearity helped prevent distortions from cumulatively "stacking up" across distances involving multiple booster amplifiers.

On a separate thought: can you imagine the sheer number of big, inefficient tube amplifiers that early phone systems required?

I've never really researched into it, but I do know early long distance telephone calls required many repeater amplifiers, placed at strategic points along the great lengths of copper wires. The legendary Western Electric 300B power triode's major use when first produced in 1938 was as the output stage in such amplifiers, a full 50 years before it became trendy with audiophiles. Supposedly, its extremely high linearity helped prevent distortions from cumulatively "stacking up" across distances involving multiple booster amplifiers.
I think its absolutely incredible that telephone systems were being installed in the 1870s and 1880s...a good 35 years before the invention of the vacuum tube. Pretty mind blowing!

That's when you realise telco's know something about line losses. There was no amplification when they started out so the total distance a telephone line could run in the early days was limited. But so was travel.

That's why Black(?) invented negative feedback back in 1917(?)... the improved frequency response supported intelligible transmission of speech over longer distances.

JR

Latest posts

Back