Behringer B2 Pro mods?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure you can try. This has been discussed here a lot. Type of body and internal reflections/resonances affect the sound. Since you can't get the original body, you have to experiment. But in this case most of the sound comes from the capsule in case of the Classic. I'm not sure though if Se mic has a suitable circuit. You need a flat circuit.
Agreed. What if I just transfer the whole B2 PCU (and capsule) into the sE body, just to see if it would improve the sound?

Do all the B2 multi-patterns have the same capsule? There are not two versions with two different capsules, are there?
I am not sure about the newer SMD ones i mentioned in the previous post. Other than that, all the older models use the same capsule.

I see. Thank you. What is the new logo and what does the old look like? Are there headbasket screws the giveaway? The good 797 ones have flathead screws?

I see. Thank you. What is the new logo and what does the old look like? Are there headbasket screws the giveaway? The good 797 ones have flathead screws?
Korg,
Forgive me for asking.all these questions.
I'm not trying to put a wrench into your b2 pro collecting hobby. I'm just trying to DIY one Rode Classic wannabe clone just for myself. Please don't feel intimidated by my barrage of questions. I just want to make sure I'm sourcing the right parts from the right sources in order to DIY one personal microphone dream of mine, without the danger of getting a "lemon," so to speak. Your helping me in this endeavor is greatly appreciated. For example:
Where would I get a decent c-12 circuit that would accommodate the dual capsule b2 pro multipattern 797 capsules? (Hoping they are 797 capsules)
Thanks!

Just get hold of one of B2 mics with triangle logo and ear in it. It has the right capsule. I am not sure about the newer one which has just the ear logo on it.

You would probably need to build c12 from scratch, but you can also find the original Rode classic schematic, i've seen it around.

Mentioned Nady tcm1050 can be moded to C12 (apex 460 to c12 mod applies), and the body is reasonably close.

What you are asking is a bit outside of my abilities to explain here in detail. But if you use the search function and Google in general to find all the answers.

Start by getting a B2, it is very likely you will be more than satisfied with it stock if you already like the Classic 1.

I would go for a Studio Projects T3, most of the Rode Classic 1 is there at relatively cheap price. And a lot of space for mods. I guess it can sound even better with not much investment :)

No idea, sorry. Flat head screws should give it away, the other one uses philips screws, or different ring color.
Haven't opened the mic, but the capsule has a plastic white ring for the outer part and both the inner rings around the backplate are gold coloured, and silver Philips head screws. Just used a flashlight to get a look at the capsule.

Last edited:
Just get hold of one of B2 mics with triangle logo and ear in it. It has the right capsule. I am not sure about the newer one which has just the ear logo on it.

You would probably need to build c12 from scratch, but you can also find the original Rode classic schematic, i've seen it around.

Mentioned Nady tcm1050 can be moded to C12 (apex 460 to c12 mod applies), and the body is reasonably close.

What you are asking is a bit outside of my abilities to explain here in detail. But if you use the search function and Google in general to find all the answers.

Start by getting a B2, it is very likely you will be more than satisfied with it stock if you already like the Classic 1.
Thank you, I will do as you suggest. I had a funny thought. What if I find out the sE z3300a already has a 797 capsule? Well I know that it has a 67 style capsule but how close to the 797 I don't know. Does the 797 factory have as public information exactly who their clients are, as regards to whom they supply those specific capsules? Who would I write to if I just wanted 1 or two 797 capsules for the price of one B2 pro? Because if I fond out that my sE has a flat circuit, then I can just use the B2 capsule and then put a new b2 capsule into the Pro.

@kingkorg Able to ID this capsule? It's what's in the current B2 Pro, finally got one open. Pictures are a bit blurry but silver Philips head screws, both rings are white, and around the backplate is a gold-brass colour.

Attachments

• 20230302_124311.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230302_124301.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
@kingkorg Able to ID this capsule? It's what's in the current B2 Pro, finally got one open. Pictures are a bit blurry but silver Philips head screws, both rings are white, and around the backplate is a gold-brass colour.
It's the 797 audio's CY002. The one used in TL Sphere, not the one previously used in B2.

The backplates are connected, so you won't get figure 8 for U87i circuit. Would work great for U87ai, though.
Would something like this work added to a U87i circuit? U87 "AI" booster conversion PCB I know that's what it's for but it doesn't say anything about connected backplates specifically.

I'm not really sure if I'll build anything in this B2 Pro or not cause the one I currently have has some issues like the holes for the switches have some burrs. I don't remember the other 2 I've had being like that.

Would something like this work added to a U87i circuit? U87 "AI" booster conversion PCB I know that's what it's for but it doesn't say anything about connected backplates specifically.

The "AI" (which should've been "Ai") in the title of that thread indicates it is precisely for that purpose.

The backplates are connected, so you won't get figure 8 for U87i circuit. Would work great for U87ai, though.

(Emphases added for clarity)

The "AI" (which should've been "Ai") in the title of that thread indicates it is precisely for that purpose.

(Emphases added for clarity)
Ah okay. Do does that mean it's the weaker capsule polarization in the U87i that makes it require isolated backplates? Is this also why multipattern K67 based mics like the iSK BM-600 and Behringer B2 Pro have a similar small board?

Back