Behringer B2 Pro mods?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icantthinkofaname

I know the B2 Pro is a pretty "well known" mod platform, for lack of a better word, due to it being a multipattern U87 copy with the negative feedback circuit in it. So other than replacing said feedback capacitor with a 470-680 pF one, what other mods are there? What components would you replace to lower self noise? Does the mic have a DC to DC converter so you can throw another capsule in it (say a Maiku CK12 or Tim Campbell's CT12) if you remove the negative feedback circuit?

Or should I just get another/more iSK BM-600s to mod? The B2 Pro is just easier to find, especially used.

There is a huge thread on B2 here. It doesn't have feefback cap, as it's a variant of Schoeps circuit.

To be honest, besides upgrading capsule coupling cap i don't see any point of modding the mic it is pretty much perfect design/component combo. High quality components.

The thing i love about B2 is removable head, so you can make different circuits and capsules and swap them at will.

In76d made a huge effort to mod the circuit, which improves s/n ratio, and gives you true cardioid mod, but to be honest, it is very complicated mod to do, and imho not worth it. I have done it, but i had way too much trouble as the mic has very complicated construction.

You can do the same type mod Microphone Parts has for SP C1. To get u87 response. Two resistors, trimmer and a capacitor.

I would personally leave posibility to have the flat option as that capsule does wonders on guitars, and some breathy vocals. Keep in mind that capsule was in original Røde Classic, with flat circuit!

Here is the pic of my swapable setup. CT12 capsule, Rayking C12, Dale M7, stock b2 capsule, and all different tube/fet circuits. I buy every B2 in the ads under 100 bucks. B1 as well. Keep in mind that latest b2 doesnt have detachable head. Its the one with newer Behringer logo.

Thread:
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=65484.0

i1yW2jF.jpg

I might be thinking of the AKG Perceptions that are really close to the U87 when you upgrade the feedback cap. I actually like the lack of a feedback cap because that means I can replace the capsule without worrying about it not sounding as intended. I think really low self noise mics (the 7 dBA ones) have just spoiled me and make me think that anything over 14 dBA or so is going to be unusable, even though a lot of mics are above that and 20 dBA seems to still work just fine.

Will I be able to just put in a new capsule or will the mic need a DC to DC converter for capsules requiring 60v polarization?

It has DC-DC converter. Not sure how many volts though, but i believe it might be even higher than 60v.

Neumann u87 (non ai)  is actually way noisier than the figures you mentioned.

I'm just gonna go with a CK12 capsule. My Lewitt is pretty close to a flat response, I'm really just looking to compliment it with different capsule types.

Couldn't find any older models in Canada, so I just ordered a new one from Amazon. So it won't have the removable head unfortunately. I'm also ordering a b stock Maiku CK12 capsule.

Was looking for some mods myself for the new version, seems all the info on this site if for the old one. 

I stumbled on this guys mods.

http://audiomods.datsunzgarage.us/b2/

Was gonna try and order some parts and do his mods,  I like the difference between the two but want a more drastic change. 

Took some measurements of mine today and just not a fan of the brightness of the mic. 

7RVpF0Y.jpg

Would love to knock that 12k peak down...

Is a capsule change the only option or can you take that away electrically?

melodnb said:
Was looking for some mods myself for the new version, seems all the info on this site if for the old one. 

I stumbled on this guys mods.

http://audiomods.datsunzgarage.us/b2/

Was gonna try and order some parts and do his mods,  I like the difference between the two but want a more drastic change. 

Took some measurements of mine today and just not a fan of the brightness of the mic. 

7RVpF0Y.jpg

Would love to knock that 12k peak down...

Is a capsule change the only option or can you take that away electrically?
You can tame the high end if you build the circuit for de-emphasis, otherwise a capsule change is the best bet I'd say.

How big is that peak? 7 or 8 dB? I'm having a bit of trouble actually reading the numbers.

If you decide to go the circuit route look at the suggested mod. I think it's the same as the Microphone-Parts mod for the SP C1.

I've read what that guy did with the mic, and while i have nothing against his approach it blows me away every time how audio results are made and presented.

I mean, waste so much time, use esotheric parts, and do "one, two, tre, check" before and after comparison. Mediocre at best.

You can put 10nf, or 22nf from fet source leg to ground. It will tame high end. Kind of ELAM approach, only with fet instead of tube.

I got some great results by adding some padding to the bottom of the grille, under the capsule. It kills reflections. It does not tame high end, but it does make high end response smoother.

Something like this. I used a bit denser material.

xik7glov4oftvifb3vwz.jpg

kingkorg said:
I've read what that guy did with the mic, and while i have nothing against his approach it blows me away every time how audio results are made and presented.

I mean, waste so much time, use esotheric parts, and do "one, two, tre, check" before and after comparison. Mediocre at best.

You can put 10nf, or 22nf from fet source leg to ground. It will tame high end. Kind of ELAM approach, only with fet instead of tube.

I got some great results by adding some padding to the bottom of the grille, under the capsule. It kills reflections. It does not tame high end, but it does make high end response smoother.

Something like this. I used a bit denser material.

xik7glov4oftvifb3vwz.jpg

I'm not the most adept at circuitry, I know where the fet source wires are but not sure where to find a ground on the mic to use. 

Yeah, that dudes mods and testing methods aren't really up to par, the differences in his recordings could easily be chalked up to differences in his speaking and room noise. 

Also idk how important this is but I took a look at the capsule and the membrane on my b2, on both sides, rippled pretty heavily on the left side of the front capsule, and the right side of the rear capsule.  It kinda looks like it's been pulled out from those edges.  Would this affect performance?  I just got the darned thing ;/

I'm not really finding that I'm a big fan of the mics sound,  everything I track through it feels harsh.  Been looking for alternatives and it seems like most ldc's are pretty bright, at least the ones I can afford.

Take a snap of that membrane and post it here. It should not be wrapped.

If they use the same 797audio capsule, while bright it should still be one of greatest k67 replicas ever.

You can always put k47 style capsule inside. Available on ebay for 40$ or so.

tough to get it to show in the light but I think I got it, both sides have warping. 

Rear
i5dt1fF.jpg

r3Jd6B6.jpg

Not finding any k47's for that cheap, got any links?

melodnb said:
tough to get it to show in the light but I think I got it, both sides have warping. 

Rear
i5dt1fF.jpg

r3Jd6B6.jpg

Not finding any k47's for that cheap, got any links?
http://m.wgtcenter.com/microphone-accessories/capsules-element/microphone-34mm-large-mylar-capsule-diaphragm-condenser-double-sided-m7-k47-k49-k87-mount-for-neumann-mic-diy-replacement-pro.html

$50 plus shipping.  IIRC it's the same one Mic Parts stocks.

That looks like it would steer me in the direction I wanna go, I just can't stand the brightness of most modern ldc's. 

Is the k47 going to a drop in replacement?  Also is it worth it to go for the single pattern or multi pattern capsule?  I don't think I'll actually ever use the two other patterns.

I'm pretty that's shrink wrap on the capsule giving it that look. The membrane still looks the same, and the raised part is clear, so I think they just didn't unwrap it during assembly. I might be wrong though, but it definitely seems like shrink wrap.

melodnb said:
That looks like it would steer me in the direction I wanna go, I just can't stand the brightness of most modern ldc's. 

Is the k47 going to a drop in replacement?  Also is it worth it to go for the single pattern or multi pattern capsule?  I don't think I'll actually ever use the two other patterns.
Get the multipattern one (I think they're the same price anyway), and yeah it's a drop in replacement because this is a flat Schoeps style circuit.

Icantthinkofaname said:
I'm pretty that's shrink wrap on the capsule giving it that look. The membrane still looks the same, and the raised part is clear, so I think they just didn't unwrap it during assembly. I might be wrong though, but it definitely seems like shrink wrap.

It's not shrink wrap it's definitely a part of the capsules membrane, you know how I know?  I just accidentally tore it lol.  That's ok, I got the thing for free from a friend.  Guess I'll try the k47 capsule unless anyone has some recommendations on condensers that have a bit smoother top end and won't cost a months rent.

Latest posts

Back