Behringer BA 19a troubleshooting

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had one of these in my kick drum for about 18 months and recently encountered an issue. Last weekend, I had my kick drum cut down from 18" to 14" depth and after putting it back in my kit and playing for a bit, the mic started making crunching sounds like it was clipping but I didn't see any visual evidence of clipping on my interface. It left me wondering if the smaller volume was resulting in greater SPL at the mic.

I took the cover off and gently removed the PCB and everything looks clean and tidy. I was thinking I might need to add a cap in parallel with the element to pad the signal but I found three wires coming from the capsule and didn't know how to proceed.

Then suddenly the problem was gone. I put the cover back on and played it for another day or so and it happened again. I took the cover off again thinking I'd remeasure the voltages and plugged it into different interface confirming it was the mic and not the interface. And then the problem went away again! A little frustrating.

With it working again, I tried reproducing the issue by loosening the brass standoff as it passes through a pad and seems to ground the PCB to the chassis to see if that might be it but no effect. I tried wiggling the wires and that also had no effect.

I originally thought that maybe the capsule was bouncing off the chassis as there is very little clearance but the crunching noise seems independent of volume level. There's less than a mm of clearance between the metal capsule frame and the chassis. It is the closest I can come to reproducing the noise.

Any thoughts on what might be happening?

Attachments

• ba19a.jpg
    ba19a.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • ba19a_2.JPG
    ba19a_2.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
Back