Behringer releases some new microphone bodies :D

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my god, that's absolute comedy gold! I'm seeing bodies of classic ribbon mics like the 44 and Coles 4038, but the mics themselves are USB condensers "designed for live streamers". 🤯

As you say, maybe good for gutting...

Yes indeed, they used back electret capsules. It just looks like the classics. But at the same time, take one of these bodies and put in this and a nice transformer

I noticed that the prices are pretty high, for just a microphone body.
The electret capsule is probably a 'low quality' (or at best: a 'medium quality') one, so there is not much that you can re-use.

Look at the mic clip. They are tiny.
I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it.... Even so, this photo from the Behringer page still came as a bit of a shock when you realise just how tiny they are ! ...

Attachments

• Image_Plug-n-Play-USB-Interface.jpg
    Image_Plug-n-Play-USB-Interface.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 72
I didnt truely take in Lilipution scale factor until I saw the photo , the head of the Coles is about the size of his thumb , its another bad joke from Uli-Beh

I jumped over from the discussion in the Brewery .

What would be good example of a modern ribbon mic to experiment around with a Fet based head amp ?
has any one had luck with bargain basement stuff like the MXL ? Ive also seen a Stagg SRM70 ribbon that looks a lot like the Royer but much cheaper .
The golden age Project R-1 passive seems good value , its a bit like an Oktava ML-16 , might make a good base for a ribbon mic project , looks like plenty of space to add a PCB or replacement transformer

I didnt truely take in Lilipution scale factor until I saw the photo , the head of the Coles is about the size of his thumb , its another bad joke from Uli-Beh

I jumped over from the discussion in the Brewery .

What would be good example of a modern ribbon mic to experiment around with a Fet based head amp ?
has any one had luck with bargain basement stuff like the MXL ? Ive also seen a Stagg SRM70 ribbon that looks a lot like the Royer but much cheaper .
The golden age Project R-1 passive seems good value , its a bit like an Oktava ML-16 , might make a good base for a ribbon mic project , looks like plenty of space to add a PCB or replacement transformer

Most cheap ribbon mics use a ribbon which is too thick. 4 micron or 6 micron is no exception. The stagg and GAP ones seems to be expensive versions. Check out t.bone for example. Probably exactly the same. There are a lot of replacement transformers available. Check out Lundahl, Extinct audio (xaudia), FAB, cinemag, Samar,... Bumblebee has some ribbon motors and transformers. So many different possibilities.

Latest posts

Back