Benchtop HT, Phantom and 12VDC Power Supply - Connectors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GussyLoveridge

GDIY Supporter
Hi Everyone -

I'm looking for some input into connectors for a benchtop PSU. I'm building one of Ian Thompson-Bell's units that I am planning to use for prototyping tube circuits.

I'm wondering what some safe and efficient options are for terminations that would live on the exterior of the PSU case that would allow me to quickly/easily connect leads to the device under test.

Would banana jacks and plugs work here? Pomona series 2269 have a current rating of 15A and 2.5 kV.

Many thanks for your help.

They are separate on mine, but I always jumper them, so I'm not sure why you would need them separate. Other than some kind of troubleshooting I can't think of. Mine only has AC heaters but I would like DC also.
Is there a link for what you are building?

I'm not sure why you would need them separate.

I have seen some schemes where the heater supply is raised to a higher voltage, e.g. still 6V across the heaters, but instead of 0V and 6V it might be 100V and 106V. You would need a floating supply for that.

I have seen some schemes where the heater supply is raised to a higher voltage, e.g. still 6V across the heaters, but instead of 0V and 6V it might be 100V and 106V. You would need a floating supply for that.

That's something with AC heaters, I've never heard of that with DC.
If I were doing it with AC and DC heaters I would definitely allow the AC to float and have a easy connection to ground (either CT or through 100 ohm resistors) - or - a 50v-100v floating level.
Mine also has a asjustable negative voltage for bias (to -100v), but I don't use that much.

I guess I would do the build with separate grounds but make it easy to connect them.

So it will be a fixed B+ voltage?
And 12vAC heaters?

You might find it worth the extra effort to make B+ adjustable and the option for 6.3v heaters.

I'm not entirely sure what is involved in making the B+ adjustable - but that does sound like it could be useful.

Having 6.3 volt heaters might be good too. I'm not sure that these things are possible with the PCB/topology that I am using. Maybe this will be a future build.

You might look at this schematic for adjustable B+ and grid bias voltage. I think this item is exactly what you're looking for. It works well.

Attachments

• heathkit_schema_ip2717a.pdf
    74.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
That's what I have - it works great.
It doesn't have DC heaters though. I just had the idea of making a little accessory box with a 6.3v regulator though. Would be an easy addition.

Back