Best K47 copy, for under 200?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who exactly manufactures the capsules is not mentioned.

From their FAQ:

"The backplates are made to our specifications in Asia, and each capsule is then skinned and assembled here in Switzerland. This approach allows us to offer boutique style performance at a competitive price."

https://maiku-capsules.com/faq

Maiku K47 uses asia parts but they supposedly skin the capsules themselves and tune/modify the backplates. Whatever they do, to my ears they do sound very different, better, to the rest of asian origin capsules. I have compared it against mic parts' k47, both with oktava 012 modified bodies, and the difference was significant. Compared to that one, the maiku k47 was vert smooth at the top, a tad bit darker, but very pleasant. As for the mic parts, the top sounds a bit brighter/harsh to my ears.
I've also have a pair of the Maiku K12 capsules installed in heads for the oktava, and these, even though they really are k67 edge terminated capsules, also sound suprinsingly nice. They also are darker/smoother at the top than the usual asian K67-CK12 wannabe, with a nice bottom. I think they make a great value for a CK12 sound footprint. Compared with one of my AKG 414 BULS, they sound somewhat similar with the Maiku having a little bit of sheen at the top.
I hope to find some time soon this week to record some acoustic guitar as promised and share for you to hear.

Yes, but I don't think they make the capsules,
please correct me if I'm wrong

I can't tell... As I said, it's a swiss company, that's all I know, and of course the good quality of their product. Send them a mail...

I’ve compared maiku k47 and k87 with neumann k87, beezneez, heiserman, poctop and chinese.

the name of the game is harshness. Maiku is tuned dark and smooth. Neumann is bright but not harsh in any way, heiserman and beezneez seem to be on the brighter side, and poctop is smooth and big with nice clarity. Chinese has rough off axis response and an overall grainy quality - although if you get a decent one for $50 they can be pretty surprising in a good circuit.

however, maiku is really great and stands easily with the other brands, and would be a better choice than others if you prefer darker sounds.

Maiku claim they skin capsules, however they don't have sputtering machine, nor clean room or anechoic chamber. Not even an image of any of that on their site, or anywhere else.
Maiku is 100% china produced capsule rebranded and sent from Switzerland. Microphone Parts business model. Not that they ard bad, just that only connection to Switzerland is a post office.

I’ve compared maiku k47 and k87 with neumann k87, beezneez, heiserman, poctop and chinese.

the name of the game is harshness.

My MK-47 with Maiku K47 capsule is far from your description even the opposite. A friend of mind who owns a big studio borrowed it to me for a test, and he's been able to compare it with an old Mic & Mod U47 clone, Oliver Archut's design same as EF-47, with a Thiersh capsule on it, and the winner is mine from far, better linear response and solid bottom smooth shinny highs, and beautiful mids.The one with the Thiersh capsule is far behind, especially in the high frequency range, really darker than mine... Uncomparable. But different mics with different designs, transformers tubes and capacitors. The Maiku is perfect for my MK-47 and certainly not Harsh in any way. I'll be able to test it with an M7 Beesneez capsule, I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Maiku claim they skin capsules, however they don't have sputtering machine, nor clean room or anechoic chamber. Not even an image of any of that on their site, or anywhere else.
Maiku is 100% china produced capsule rebranded and sent from Switzerland. Microphone Parts business model. Not that they ard bad, just that only connection to Switzerland is a post office.
Do you have proof for your statement or just a feeling? If that's true, then that would mean that the Maiku guys are lying. If not, you will look pretty stupid...

Last edited:
I can not provide proof of what they don't have. I've been asking for a proof on their side which they never provided. I've seen an image of a disassembled generic capsule on a regular work bench and that's it. There is no name behind this company, and all you get is a 3U capsule at a higher price. Guosheng confirmed this via email to me. They make capsules for Maiku.

I can not provide proof of what they don't have. I've been asking for a proof on their side which they never provided. I've seen an image of a disassembled generic capsule on a regular work bench and that's it. There is no name behind this company, and all you get is a 3U capsule at a higher price. Guosheng confirmed this via email to me. They make capsules for Maiku.
Not documenting the production/ skinning of the capsules on the website would not be proof. The other known capsule manufacturers do not show this either. For whatever reason, I would do it.

But if you have an email that all capsules are produced externally and this is true, then that would be proof.

We will see.

This is image of 3U audio's capsule off their site, and image of the same capsule in a stock 2500$ FET USA produced mic by a reputable, i dare say legendary manufacturer. I had it for a repair few months ago. I won't name the company as the shit may hit the fan once again. They are in the same class as Flea, Wunder...
3U audio's capsules are worth every penny.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210605-210429_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210605-210429_Gallery.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_20210605-223844_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20210605-223844_Brave.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 65
Some capsule art from the very talented guys at Maiku. Just for you.

Enjoy :)

Last edited:
But if you have an email that all capsules are produced externally and this is true, then that would be proof.

We will see.
Guosheng from 3U is a professional who would never disclose his working relationships. No-one in China discloses their relationships. Especially not to some random internet clown who buys 1 capsule a year from him.

I know how seriously Guosheng takes his business because we work with him buying 3U transformers. Not 1 or 2pcs shipped to my bedroom with "low customs value please". We buy hundreds of them.

So why does Kingkorg lie about something this stupid, and throw Guosheng under the bus in the process?

Now that looks like an uber clean room 🤣
Swiss quality 💪
If small-time capsule makers like Tim Campbell can do the whole process with assembly, gold-sputtering etc as a one-man operation, why should'nt Maiku be able to do the skinning process? Do they really need all those tools you say?

There's barely any money in the DIY/mic boutique biz, why do a shady business model here? (OK, microphone parts used to do something similar - but with worse capsules and way larger margin)
It's very great lengths to go to dissassemble the capsules just for a diss post.

Anyways, I agree as much that from a pure marketing perspective, it would be a nice addition for them to show pictures of their process for instance on their FAQ where they(?) describe their process of reskinning the OEM capsules. But the way Maiku services the DIY community makes me want to believe they're honest.

Also... it's okay to question and doubt any production company - after all we DIY'ers are not exactly gullible bevause we know, for the most part, how the sausage is made. What you're doing is stating as fact. I can tell from your number posts that you're active here - why be a troll?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back