Best K47 copy, for under 200?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it more believable that some of these large asian manufacturers would have more comprehensive setups to diaphragm their own capsules, than what is visible with some of these “third party skinner” methods.

While I can imagine some valid reasoning behind adding a diaphragm out of house, I can’t remember ever hearing what I would personally feel to be valid reasoning conveyed. Usually there is mention of steps I am more doubtful about.

It is a rough scenario though, because if any company gets more detailed about what they are doing it provides a checklist for someone else’s potential business model.

Last edited:
I find it more believable that some of these large asian manufacturers would have more comprehensive setups to diaphragm their own capsules, than what is visible with some of these “third party skinner” methods.

While I can imagine some valid reasoning behind adding a diaphragm out of house, I can’t remember ever hearing what I would personally feel to be valid reasoning conveyed. Usually there is mention of steps I am more doubtful about.

It is a rough scenario though, because if any company gets more detailed about what they are doing it provides a checklist for someone else’s potential business model.
Impurities in the PET can dick with high frequency response by changing how the diaphragm sympathetically resonates with the sound I personally feel, but if the manufacturer is already using high quality PET there's not a tremendous amount of added value, except maybe the value of changing the diaphragm tuning which to be fair can be a pretty big change in sound. The value of Maiku over 3U Stock is probably sonic differences from level of tension. You could certainly ask the manufacturer to do that in house, but I think Maiku Probably just has fun doing it this way, and I think that's a perfectly valid justification for doing it, And if people are willing to pay extra for someone being passionate about it I don't think that's a terrible thing. Kind of getting into the realm of art though

The preparation of materials and surfaces, in multiple ways, is where it would seem advantages could happen. Very generally, and just my own opinion…

With the mylar, there could be some advantages with subtype, pretreatment for humidity and form factor, advantages with gold evaporation methodology and surface treatments for best bond with gold, post capsule aging treatments, resonant frequency check, and more.

Then there is the matter of preparation of the backplates, as far as making sure the holes are uniform, smoothed out if needed, and fully cleaned of anything residual from the machining process.

When a third party reskinner seems to not have access to the tools and machinery that the factories do in Asia, it seems like some sort of case should be made beyond the capsule somehow being better because it was assembled in a different geographic location. If they do have access to better equipment, and/or have process they think is better, it would just be helpful to make some of those points to potential customers.

There is a bizarre and kind of frightening lack of transparency in the diy capsule industry. There are really two types of capsule marketing: saying absolutely nothing and saying 20 pages of shit that has nothing to do with anything.

The only full blown business company with a genuinely respectable amount of transparency is AA. They went through their entire development process, manufacturer selection process, etc with names on another forum. I always really respected them for that.

This thread has become a little caustic at times but I really do appreciate everyone's input on this topic. I've only done a handful of mic modifications but even with that, I have found the capsule to account for at least 75% of the tonal characteristic of a mic (assuming the electronics were done properly). I have a Beesneez K7 and think it is a truly great capsule at least on par with the Thiersch M7 Red I have. I've always wondered about Maiku and wanted to know more about them. I guess I will find out a bit firsthand when my KM84 clone kits arrive later today. Now, I just need to wait for Mouser to get parts in stock again! :)

The only full blown business companha with a genuinely respectable amount of transparency is AA. They went through their entire development process, manufacturer selection process, etc with names on another forum. I always really respected them for that.

I respect Adanced Audio a lot, their mics are really really good, and very affordable.

Could you please post links of that thread from another forum?
Would love to know more about them

Thank you so much

Dear colleagues,

I'm a bit saddened to see the methodical criticism displayed to the disadvantage of Maiku et. al. The internet can sometimes lead to a certain form of inadvertent "triangulation", where you don't talk to the person, but about the person. In the past I have reached out to Maiku through e-mail and he has always been very informative and friendly. Not only that, he's been extremely helpful and in some ways "bent over backwards" to help me with some microphones, where he could have readily dismissed my requests. He worked on some of my microphones, and I'm still deeply impressed by his level of commitment and professionalism. I'm well aware this sounds like I'm a Maiku "fanboi", but all I can say is that sending my hard earned money his way in exchange for his work was a good experience. I can't say anything about his capsules, because I haven't heard them yet, but I wouldn't hesitate doing business with him again. This seems like a very "pro Maiku" statement, and I'm not writing this because I was told, but because it was my experience and wouldn't I want people to acknowledge my work as well, and maybe share their experience with others?

When in doubt reach out to him, I'm sure he will gladly respond to all your requests and provide you with helpful information.

And now back to the point: The only two things I'm looking for in a mic capsule is: a good midrange resolution, and a smooth high end (≠ little high end). I can do the rest with EQ. I'm hoping that the Maiku will give me both... whaddayathink?

3u Audio sells only one kind of capsule.
Maiku sells 3 different capsules (k47 , k87 and k12)
So. could be possible that Maiku purchases the K87 capsule to 3U audio and produced itself the K47 and K12 models?

3U Audio not only manufactures several different types of LDC capsules including 47,87 and 12 types, but also different tonal variations of those capsules, small diaphragm capsules and a sweet version of an M7. I've found if you contact Guosheng directly via email to ask to purchase, you always get the best price.

Maiku sells 3 different capsules (k47 , k87 and k12)
So. could be possible that Maiku purchases the K87 capsule to 3U audio and produced itself the K47 and K12 models?

I don't see any proof or possibility that Maiku produces any capsules at all.
What it seems is that Maiku gets the capsules sourced from China, I don't know the sources.
Some of the Maiku capsules are pretty terrible like the one used in the Banzai's called "Neumann KM84" project.

What it seems is that Maiku gets the capsules sourced from China, I don't know the sources.
Some of the Maiku capsules are pretty terrible like the one used in the Banzai's called "Neumann KM84" project.
My two each sound pretty good, but I haven't used them much yet.

Im really glad it worked well for you other people unfortunately didn’t have the same experience, in the end it’s just a cheaply made and designed Chinese capsule
You really seem to have an axe to grind about the KM84. I'm not sure what this has to do with a K47 capsule.

The 3U Audio M7 is a great option (I have two and one on the way). They also offer a K47, but I have not tried it yet. They are each under $200 US. Advanced Audio offers an AK47 capsule that compares well to the Microphone Parts RK47.

As long as you are willing to spend upwards of $200 on a capsule, you might really want to consider doubling that to get a Heiserman HK47 or a BeesNeez K7. I have one of each and they are in my best-sounding microphones (other than my C12 with HK12 capsule). There is nothing you can really do in a circuit that is going to make up for not having the very best capsule.

You really seem to have an axe to grind about the KM84. I'm not sure what this has to do with a K47 capsule.

No I don’t,
It’s pretty well documented in the relevant threads how crappy that Chinese capsule stamped Maiku is.
Badly designed, badly produced and no quality control whatsoever from Maiku.

Ok, maybe I wasn't clear enough in my statement earlier, so I'll say it again: Here we talk about Maiku and speculate where his capsules are coming from instead of consulting him / asking him directly.

His website clearly says:

The backplates are made to our specifications in Asia, and each capsule is then skinned and assembled here in Switzerland. This approach allows us to offer boutique style performance at a competitive price.

Now, to assume that he buys finished capsules from China and sells them in Europe is in other words calling him a liar. It wouldn't be the first time someone lied about a product or manufacturing process, yes, but I think we can agree this would be a pretty hefty accusation. In my statement earlier I stated that I experienced him to be a very respectable and reliable person, with proper business practices. Assuming that his whole website is a lie and a scam just doesn't fit the picture for me.

Cheers!

X

Latest posts

Back