Best mic for distorted electric guitars takes.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SM58 with the basket off, @2-6 inches from the grille, and @half-way from the dust-cap to the surround through a fat Class A pre (1272, Helios, V72 etc). I also used to love RE10's, but i haven't seen any recently. I also had a B@O ribbon(antecedant of the Royer) that was great, but a tad dull sometimes. STC/Coles 4038's are excellent, and i have sometimes loved the Ball n' Biscuit, a vintage omni dynamic - great as filthy "extra" drum overhead btw. I love to take an ambient pair as well, even in a small room. pair of Calrecs is way cool, or whatever . . . . . Decca tree in a big room, if possible! Used to use 3 x C12A's at Wessex in days of old.(Wessex is now converted into flats . . . . bollocks)

spend time working on the amp/guitar set-up. I always find that in-experienced players can improve their sound immediately by removing un-necessary pedals, and setting tone controls flat! start simple, and work it up from there.

I have a couple of small combos. A JML/Vox/Hohner AC4 with only 2 tubes in it, and an old 8Watt Selmer Truevoice. My AC3o is in need of a new power transformer :cry: I have fitted 1/4" jack sockets on all of them, and a firm favorite is the AC4 into a 4x12" cab. Not loud in the room, but SO loud in the speakers!

If all else fails, hire in a Soldano. Nuff Sed.

ANdy P

57 is sort of a standard. 409s are nice, I've had great results with ribbons of various brands. I don't often use condensor mics on shred guitar, especially if I've got uses for them elsewhere or not enough in general. I'm fairly likely to lowpass their inherent top end advantage off anyway. Smooth mids tend to be what I look for.

When I worked MI retail I was told by the Shure representative that the SM58, SM57 and SM7 had the same capsules in a different mounting changing the response. He worked for them for 15 years at that point so I took his word for it.....

Ciminosound, I can second that!
Shure reps in my I days told me the same.

I never tried to see if swapping capsules made them behave identical...
If it works why bother messing? They're just cheap dynamic microphones after all.
What I noticed is that out of a batch of 12 SM57's I had 4 sounding close to eachother, with about 8 all having a (little) different flavour. I wonder if this is due to poor componentsselection, build, or voodoo? If they where Chinese branded mics they would get bashed for it,
in prostudios most people just buy a batch an select... funny.

[quote author="pucho812"]
Aren't we all using POD's?

yeah pod through mic model by antares... just kidding...[/quote]

I like to play a Pod (well actually I have the rack mount Berry Injure clone) through an amp and mic that. It's kinda funny getting something that sounds like a cranked Plexi stack out of an old deluxe reverb. :razz:

I use what I have on cabinets... sm57, md421 and an m88. I have more time spent getting the amp and mic to sound good in the room, no bad phasing problems from reflections etc. I've wanted to try my m260 but I'm afraid of breaking it so I just use it on vocals.

Kiira

Back