Best mic for distorted electric guitars takes.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gurusound

I want too heard opinions about what mic do you prefer for distorted electric guitars takes, in my case my best choice is the clon of the ELA m 251. Thanks for your answers.

always ever used a sm57
much too scared to stick anything else in front of a 4x12 cab at full throttle - although i do not do this for a living

However when I was being recorded in "proper studios" the engineers used the "american engineers version of the 57" (my quotes - that's how I always remember it) - can't remember what it's called - Electrovoice something or other - the one that has the grill coming in patches a bit down the body

Have a look/listen at the Royer demo CD or their online mp3s. The Steve Albini-section compares a SM57 vs the Royer 121 on distorted gtr. The '57 is mighty unimpressive in that comparison, but the 121 perhaps a bit too much. Useful for bands without bassplayers ?

About putting mics on loud cabs, as known the MD421/441 do a fine job there and sound a bit fuller than the '57. Whether that better suits your mix is another thing though.

edits : 122 --> 121

[quote author="clintrubber"]
the one that has the grill coming in patches a bit down the body

RE20 ? But probably not what you mean, it doesn't look like a '57 though.

Talking about '57, by chance anybody tried the T-Bone 75 ? :shock:[/quote]
Yep that's the one - I know it doesn't look like it - but I do believe that eons ago the two different countries used them for the same general purpose dynamic mic uses (thus the term - the american version of the sm57)

I really like the Beyer M160 ribbon for that. Much more depth and realism than a 57. I don't use stacks for distorted guitars though. I like low wattage amps like the Marshall 18W or the 5E3 Deluxe. Some very big sounds can be recorded from smallish amps.

Steve

For 'in your face' I like a 57, MD421 or Beyer M88 against the grille. When I need something smoother I go for my RCA 77D. I keep the volume under control though as I don't want to needlessy require a re-ribboning.

At any rate, I like using dynamic mics on amps. Sometimes I'll put up a condensor a few feet back and pan it opposite the close mic for a room-y sound. But I generally don't use room sounds for crunch guitars (except if there's going to be room in the mix for it).

Cheers,

Kris

shure 57
beyer m69
beyer m160
neumann 149 (distant room)
sennheiser 421
royer 121

many others...

No peticular order of preference, what works gets the job :grin:

on my yet to try out soonlist:

beyer m88
RCA 77
T-Bone 57

Tony

Peter, i made a mistake, i was meaning the T-Bone ribbon
similar to the one massordered by Fum recently...

nevertheless, the one you linked also seems worth checking out. I gave up on using the pricetag as qualitycontrol a while ago, and so far i am not regretting it :grin:

I had two of those t-bone mics. And i had the chance to compare them to the real thing. They sound about the same and i used them on snares and guitar cabs all the time but the build quality is a lot less than the real thing.

A friend of mine now has a nice collection of MD441's and 421's and they do everything a fake SM57 does only better. So i sold them cause I needed some money.
And some players i recorded didn't like seeing the name T-bone on the mic in front of their instruments. Somehow sometimes that influences the way they perceive the quality of the recording more than quality of the recording itself :?

B&O BM3

a148318-1.jpg

But I agree - ribbons are great for guitar cabinets...

Jakob E.

RCA SK46 the one that looks like a little remmington electric shaver they sound owesome also senheiser 409 or e609 or an sm56/57 Wil

Wilebee

I had a chance to try the Fum ribbon mics for this and they work great. I also like large diaphragm tube condensers, but I think that I might like the Fum ribbons even better.

A friend of mine now has a nice collection of MD441's and 421's and they do everything a fake SM57 does only better. So i sold them cause I needed some money.
You're right, even when they're a good deal but still have better mics available then there's no need for that good deal - unless you need that number of mics available at the same time. I have a 421 & 441 & ribbon & 57 (that's about all though) , but only two hands and one gtr-amp, so no need for the MB75 unless I want to record more things at once.

Thanks for the sanity-check, shall I send the saved EU39 to you ? :wink:
But serious, interesting to hear they're usable - who knows for an eventual next Thomann-order...

My favorite is an Electro-Voice RE200, a small-diaphragm condenser with a huge peak around 8kHz. I don't use it for anything else except bodhrans.

When that's not right, a Beyer M88 is nice.

Peace,
Paul

royer 121 , sm57, at4050 and re20...
Stick them all in front of the cabinet and be happy :green:

:thumb:
Fabio

Back