Best tape loops for Roland RE-201?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Owned my since the early 70's and have never bought a loop.
Just find some good 1/4 inch tape, measure about the same length as the old one, splice it together and feed it into the bin. Of course if you don't have access to this stuff, just find a loop.

Radio spot "cart" tape is what Roland supplied.  It has a bit of graphite on the back to help it slip and slide and not grind the oxide off the front.  Don't know if there are any radio station supply houses left!  The 201 has a large tape area with minimal grinding so non-cart tape can be used, but I expect it will wear quicker.
Look for "Tubeplex" replacement cartridges for Echoplexes.  I think they are still available at tubesandmore.com or ebay since Mike Battle passed away.  He was still making units himself as of a few years ago.
You will probably want to bias by ear afterwards for the new tape.
Mike

Use "8-track" tape. Old Glen Campbell tapes are readily available cheap on eBay. Not the _best_ quality tape, the broadcast cart tape could be better (though some was pretty lame, near as bad as the crap the 8-track duplicators used). Get several. Look for mold, filth, dope-dust, sticky-beer.

One advantage to BC Cart: they un-screw. Most 8-tracks are glued together. Another reason to get several... practice your busting-open technique.

Back