Best way to punch IEC panel mount connector in boxes.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abbey road d enfer said:
I've been informed that the sitenow  accepts only pick-up orders.;reason is they had a problem, the truck carrying large holes went into a pothole and lost part of the cargo. In retreating to recover, the truck fell into the hole.  :(

On, so it's wholesale only now?

Cheers

Ian

The hole cutter for the IEC connectors mentioned earlier seem to be discontinued across all platforms - RS, Farnell, Distrelec - does anyone know where to source these now? Mine are wearing out, and I'm not prepared to revert to drill-and-filing  ::)

Punch Rectangular 31.4x28.3mm - (1.242x1.11")

/Jakob E.

gyraf said:
The hole cutter for the IEC connectors mentioned earlier seem to be discontinued across all platforms - RS, Farnell, Distrelec - does anyone know where to source these now? Mine are wearing out, and I'm not prepared to revert to drill-and-filing  ::)

Punch Rectangular 31.4x28.3mm - (1.242x1.11")

/Jakob E.
Greenlee punches are probably going the dodo way, extinct.
I guess it's time you invest in a CNC mill.
I just ordered one, will let you know how it goes.

abbey road d enfer said:
Greenlee punches are probably going the dodo way, extinct.
I guess it's time you invest in a CNC mill.
I just ordered one, will let you know how it goes.

I would be very interested to hear your experience once you start using it.

Cheers

ian

ruffrecords said:
I would be very interested to hear your experience once you start using it.

Cheers

ian
This is a new adventure for me. I guess I'll be facing a rather steep learning curve. As far as I could see, G-code seems to be close to the Excellon code used for drilling/milling PCB's, so that should not be too difficult.

abbey road d enfer said:
This is a new adventure for me. I guess I'll be facing a rather steep learning curve. As far as I could see, G-code seems to be close to the Excellon code used for drilling/milling PCB's, so that should not be too difficult.

I do not want to spoil your adventure but when I tried this a few years ago, things like G-code were not much of a problem. I had far greater problems with the mechanical aspects of the low cost Chinese CNC machine I purchased. Things like feed rates, drill bit sizes, quality of bits, lubrication, noise etc. I am hoping things have improved somewhat in the intervening years which is why I am particularly interested in how you get on.

Cheers

ian

ruffrecords said:
I do not want to spoil your adventure but when I tried this a few years ago, things like G-code were not much of a problem. I had far greater problems with the mechanical aspects of the low cost Chinese CNC machine I purchased. Things like feed rates, drill bit sizes, quality of bits, lubrication, noise etc. I am hoping things have improved somewhat in the intervening years which is why I am particularly interested in how you get on.

Cheers

ian
well, I read a lot about the misadventures of early CNC enthousiasts, so I ordered a large (60x90) and powerful (2.2kW) machine with liquid cooling. I've also ordered a number of ER20 collets and many different bits.

abbey road d enfer said:
well, I read a lot about the misadventures of early CNC enthousiasts, so I ordered a large (60x90) and powerful (2.2kW) machine with liquid cooling. I've also ordered a number of ER20 collets and many different bits.

That sounds like a good start to me. I would also recommend buying a pair of ear defenders. I wish you very good luck.

Cheers

ian

I hear you on the CNC - but I'm not yet rich enough to buy a machine that will work well in steel plate.

I can do alu alright, but it's a very big step up to do steel in any decent way. Which is kinda why I don't (didn't) expect the punches to go away anytime soon..

/Jakob E.

gyraf said:
..yes, unfortunately that is part of what ensures the stability of the box, and I really like the stability it gives..

/Jakob E.
Is it a separate rear panel or is it integral to the box?
In the past I used 2mm Al for the (separate) rear panels. Was sturdy enough for me.

yeah, it's a separate plate - but there's no room to bend lips into it, so the thickness (in steel) is already up around 1.8-1.9mm to get me what I need.. Will keep looking, or perhaps have the tool made.. I can't be the only one needing this, surely?

/Jakob E.

Isn't it an option to use powercon connectors? A little more expensive, but more sturdy, and uses the same dimensions as xlr.

wlinart said:
Isn't it an option to use powercon connectors? A little more expensive, but more sturdy, and uses the same dimensions as xlr.
The big problem with Powercon mains cords is that they are not commonly found.
In comparison IEC cords can be found almost anywhere.
If you've been on tour with a missing Powercon cable, you know what I mean...

abbey road d enfer said:
If you've been on tour with a missing Powercon cable, you know what I mean...

PA sound is the only place I've seen Powercons on a regular basis. Most studio engineers would have no idea what kind of connector it is. I've never seen a Powercon on equipment meant for the studio. A lot of people assume they are Speakon's because they look so similar.

I like Powercon's. I use them when I'm building something for personal use. I wouldn't use them for equipment meant for anyone other than me.

ruffrecords said:
I do not want to spoil your adventure but when I tried this a few years ago, things like G-code were not much of a problem.
I haven't received the machine yet (well, ,only half of it, the second parcel has been mislaid by the driver and shipped back to sender  :mad: ), so I tried to make myself prepared, I have all the .dxf files done, but I have troubles converting into g-code.
I've tried with two different softwares, none is capable of producing the g-code file. One (Lazycam) is missing a .pst file and the other (Estlcam) is like hieroglyphs to me, although supposed to be one of the simplest...
How did you proceed?

Latest posts

Back