Best way to punch IEC panel mount connector in boxes.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask for IEC screw die dimensions..

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4000099972331.html

Easy to use, drill a hole in the middle, put the dies betewen across the screw and turn the hex with a key.
If you need made a lot get the hydraulic unit..

Cheers

abbey road d enfer said:
Indeed; that was in the recommandations. It did not prevent what I consider premature failure.

I have used a range Greenlee punches quite a lot on mild steel (1.5mm) and aluminium (up to 3mm), mostly for tube sockets but also for XLRs. I have had to replace the draw bolt a couple of times (more my lack of conscientiousness when it comes to using cutting oil and probably punching too many holes in a run - they get quite hot), but the actual punches are still fine.

When it comes to cutting IECs I just carefully drill each of the corners and then use a nibbler.

gyraf said:
Is that a standard measure? Did you get such a tool made?

It's unclear what dimension steel it's supposed to cut. I'd like to cut 1.2/1.5mm steel

/Jakob E.
Aliexpress is the cheap way..

I believe you have the solution very near you. Search the Best electrical industrial supplies and ask for punch die Taylor made or ask in a good mechanizing work Shop, explain What you need and made, its easy, mechanizing and heat treatment.

Some years ago I remember 140 euros for prismatic contour, an iec is more easy.

Cheers!

Organicfet said:
Aliexpress is the cheap way..

I believe you have the solution very near you. Search the Best electrical industrial supplies and ask for punch die Taylor made or ask in a good mechanizing work Shop, explain What you need and made, its easy, mechanizing and heat treatment.

Some years ago I remember 140 euros for prismatic contour, an iec is more easy.

Cheers!
That seems easy for you, particularly with this link in Spanish.
What about setting up a group buy?
I guess we could probably find a dozen of interested members. I would be for one.

I did a quick search and the best price I found was $462.84.

https://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-60031-Rectangle-0-750-Inch-1-140-Inch/dp/B00204DWQI
Other sites had it from $600 to $800!

Greenlee punches are excellent, but pricey. I treasure my collection of round punches.

BTW, there is not a "one size fits all" for IEC inlets. Even the basic ones from different manufacturers require slightly different holes. Then, you have inlets with integral fuse holders, switches/jumpers for AC mains voltage selectors, on/off switches, etc.

Bri

Did this work well for you? Not a lot of inexpensive punches available nowadays.
Sorry for not reporting back earlier

And YES - this combination (a SYK-15 hydraulic hand pump and a tailored punch tool for combined fuse and IEC - 59.0US $ |1Pcs 31.4x28.3mm Square Hole Punch Tool Die for SYK 15|Tool Parts| - AliExpress ) works very well indeed, better edges and less material bending than I ever had with the greenlee stuff - and less hard work needed.

Disclaimer - I've only done some 20-25 cuts with it yet, but it seems solid enough..

Only thing is that this system is rather big and heavy - see pic with a 19"3u frontplate for reference

Definitely recommended

/Jakob E.

Attachments

• Hydraulic_IEC-punch.jpg
    Hydraulic_IEC-punch.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 76
Sorry for not reporting back earlier

And YES - this combination (a SYK-15 hydraulic hand pump and a tailored punch tool for combined fuse and IEC - 59.0US $ |1Pcs 31.4x28.3mm Square Hole Punch Tool Die for SYK 15|Tool Parts| - AliExpress ) works very well indeed, better edges and less material bending than I ever had with the greenlee stuff - and less hard work needed.

Disclaimer - I've only done some 20-25 cuts with it yet, but it seems solid enough..

Only thing is that this system is rather big and heavy - see pic with a 19"3u frontplate for reference

Definitely recommended

/Jakob E.
A few years later...is it still working well?

Yes, now today, some 135 cutouts later, my only regret is not getting this tool earlier. Simple, efficient and predictable.

recommended
Awesome! iI ordered the hydraulic punch and rectangular die. Punch has already arrived and Im pretty impressed with how well it works on round holes with the included die, looking forward to getting the rectangular die.

I have never considered the combo fuse/IEC sockets, because they are externally mounted, so the PCB option seems incongruous.
Is there a way to have them PCB mounted and still have the possibility to disassemble the rear panel without unsoldering the thingy?
For this reason I have only used the separate rear-mount IEC connector IEC Connector PCB Mount Flange Rear Mount Inlet PX0580 Series Black No Cover PCB Spills/4.8mm Tab (Earth) Termination EN60 320-1 Standard Sheet C14 Class I
The big issue (for DIY) is that the rounded rectangular cut-out is very difficult to do cleanly.
I wonder if a dedicated punch is available or if it can be custom-ordered.

Any reason to not use a neutrik power con in this application?

I had square hole issues for Iec’s use power con these days. Never been happier as it looks nicer. I have the tooling for holes.

The only issue with Powercon is that when you're out in the wild and you figure out you've forgotten the damn power cord, you can't go to the next hardware store to get one.
Same problems as products that use IEC high-current types (C19/20).
Not a big deal for studios, but a serious concern for mobile sound.

I have never considered the combo fuse/IEC sockets, because they are externally mounted, so the PCB option seems incongruous.
Is there a way to have them PCB mounted and still have the possibility to disassemble the rear panel without unsoldering the thingy?
For this reason I have only used the separate rear-mount IEC connector IEC Connector PCB Mount Flange Rear Mount Inlet PX0580 Series Black No Cover PCB Spills/4.8mm Tab (Earth) Termination EN60 320-1 Standard Sheet C14 Class I
The big issue (for DIY) is that the rounded rectangular cut-out is very difficult to do cleanly.
I wonder if a dedicated punch is available or if it can be custom-ordered.

The seller of that rectangular punch says in another listing that they can make custom sizes so I think it's possible

Any reason to not use a neutrik power con in this application?

I had square hole issues for Iec’s use power con these days. Never been happier as it looks nicer. I have the tooling for holes.

I think the additional expense of powercon would pay for one of these punching tools quickly. I plan on needing to make 200 or so IEC cutouts and the cheapest powercon solution (including cable, connector, and fuse holder) seems to be around 16$ vs 7$ for an equivalent length iec cable/combined fuse holder. Obviously nit a big deal if doing a few one offs, but for doing small runs it does add up rather quickly

Back