Beyerdynamic M61

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjb5191

Hello,

I bought a Beyerdynamic M61 and plugged it into test it and it seemed to have a pretty limited frequence response especially in the low end.  It sounds very rolled off below 200 hz.  I wanted to open it up to see if the diaphragm could use a cleaning and if it was covered in iron particles but I have no idea how to open this thing up!  I pried, twisted, screwed everything i could in both directions but this thing seems like its "sealed" up.  Of course, the most likely thing is that I'm just a dunce and haven't figured it out yet.  I've even called Beyer's support and they called over to Germany and had someone check their archives there but they said that nothing was found :/.  I wanted to see if anyone has any idea how to open this mic up to service it.  There's not much info out there.

I had one of these once, my recollection is that that is just how they sound. I don't think it was ever a high-end mic.

Here is some information from trashblitz.com. They/ he had the same problem to open the mic.

Trashblitz.com is gone.  :'(

https://web.archive.org/web/20181013092112/http://www.trashblitz.com/beyer-m61/

snigglepit said:
I had one of these once, my recollection is that that is just how they sound. I don't think it was ever a high-end mic.

Thanks for your comments!  Some sources say that some examples have very healthy bass response but mine sounds like a metallic phone.  I think that there is something wrong with mine and would love to open it.  I'd be surprised if these mics were truly "sealed" and didn't have some type of mechanical threads that may just be cold welded after so  many years.  I guess I will need to try and get a little heavier handed with this mic and chuck it in the vise and go at it with a pipe or strap wrench  :eek:.  If it comes down to it, I'll cut the metal grill open.  I don't have much to lose.  I must get to the diaphragm!  Boy, I will feel silly though if there is just some hidden screw or reverse threaded thing-a-ma-jig that I looked over.

Latest posts

Back