Beyerdynamic M88N(C) XLR barrel removal

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I recently got my hands on a Beyer M88N(C) with a broken capsule. One of the copper wires broke right at the voice coil, and since disassembling the capsule seems more than I can handle, I'm looking at replacing the capsule assembly.

Only problem is, the XLR barrel on these vintage models is threaded and screwed onto the body, but also glued with two-part epoxy. Apparently, it requires insane amount of heat to loosen the glue, or so was I told.

Does anybody have any experience opening these up? Last resort is splicing the existing wires, but I'd rather do it the proper way.

Hi!

My experience is with many M260s and a handful of M88s. But Beyer used the same approach.

On the later models there is a tiny metal pin near the socket barrel that stops the  barrel rotating. If you punch that through then the job gets easier.

Assuming you have done that, or made sure that the pin is absent, then the connector is likely to be glued. Heat will soften the Beyer glue eventually, and you really have to go for it and get it HOT.

Unfortunately you risk damaging parts inside.

That's it really. If you have to get it apart then be prepared to deal with the consequences. Spare capsule assemblies are available, thankfully.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's one of the early ones since I couldn't find anything under the metal label, unless I wasn't looking for the right thing... I'll check again before doing anything.

You mentioned getting it hot. Would boiling water do the trick? Or a heat gun, maybe? The capsule's already shot, and I have a capsule system assembly is on the way so  the only thing I should avoid to damage is the XLR socket.

So the parts have arrived, but I still haven't managed to remove the XLR connector. Leaving the mic body in boiling water for an hour did nothing.

have you tried hot air?

boilingn water will never get hotter than 100 degrees celsius. a heat gun will get you some 200-400 depending on the model and placement.

I'll give that a try when I get home. Although looking at the new capsule assembly, I'm not even sure the wires are long enough to solder them directly to the XLR connector... Weird.

Back