BFE MK2 EQ problematic switch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timtom

My BFE MK2 EQ has a problem with the low cut switch. As soon as I engage it the signal gets cut. If i touch the switch and put pressure on it, the signal is back and the low cut is working.
I think the switch has some mechanical failure. Yesterday I recapped the unit.
Does anybody now where to find those switches? (ITT JEANRENAUD HK32 Type MIL )
IMG_5239.JPG
IMG_5237 2.JPG

Attachments

• MIL ITT DOC.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 17
I had a similar behaviour and noticed that the solder was lifting from the traces when moving the switch. Resoldering the pins solved the problem.

I would recommend re-soldering the Pins first also, maybe that fix it.

It the problem is really inside the switch, you can try to see if Mauser or Farnell stock that.
I would also contact the manufacturer asking information on distributors or ordering

All I can add is based on my experience /comments based with a Neve 51xx broadcast desk. Each module had two JEANRENAUD rotary switches ...one for mic pre gain, the other for line gain. After many years, two failures happen.

1. The internal detent mechanism fails, so the switch just spins.

2. The contacts seem to get glitchy after a bunch of years.

A dozen+ years ago I was seeking new switches for the Neve desk. IT&T still had the same switches in the catalog, but it was all special order with a MOQ from their factory in Central America.

ITT sold off most of their switch biz to C&K, but I see no sign of those parts on their website.

Indeed, the part numbers for those JEANRENAUD rotaries began with the letters "MIL".

Those switches were never MIL spec...just an odd choice for a bunch of switch part numbers.

Searching for a "MIL" switch number goes down a rabbit hole of US military parts.

Bri

And they had a very unusual footprint.

FWIW....

Bri

Found this on my drive. Mouser numbers at the bottom of the PDF are bogus, but original JEANRENAUD numbering is there.

Attachments

• C&K-mil_series_rotary-220.pdf
    150.3 KB · Views: 20
I resoldered the switch and it worked for a moment while testing. Completely assembled the same problem as before. Now I really need to put some pressure to get the signal back.

After one more day of trying to get the lowcut working he signal is gone as soon as the switch to one of the frequencies. Is there a replacement/similar switch to to do switching like in the schematic?Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 22.17.41.png

Latest posts

Back