Bo Hansen DI layout

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ricardus's reply was quite sufficient. It is not clear to me what you intended to represent here and why the moderators allow such behavior and insults to forum members, especially new ones.

There's for sure other uses that you could have for this forum, like building nice DIY gear, learning and making friends than just basing your interaction in this forum by picking and criticizing other members like you constantly do around, Please stop harassing me and other members

Thanks

This year I've been in a few situations where I would have liked a Stereo Bo Hansén DI. As small as possible, and with an optional external PSU if there is no Phantom power available at the venue.
So for Christmas, I did this present for myself:

View attachment 87835

Happy new year everyone, and thank you @Bo Hansen for this fantastic sounding DI Box.
Wow, that looks amazing! I want to build a stereo one exactly like this, only with Lundahl 1538XLs
Can I buy the PCB for a stereo DI from you?

Wow, that looks amazing! I want to build a stereo one exactly like this, only with Lundahl 1538XLs
If you want to build a stereo Bo Hansén DI Box with LL1538XLs (good choice) just use two single PCBs.
One goal for my Dual PCB was to fit two channels in the specific enclosure, and there was just enough space for the small Haufe ST8456 transformers.

This year I've been in a few situations where I would have liked a Stereo Bo Hansén DI. As small as possible, and with an optional external PSU if there is no Phantom power available at the venue.
So for Christmas, I did this present for myself:

View attachment 87835

Happy new year everyone, and thank you @Bo Hansen for this fantastic sounding DI Box.
Very nice job, compact and neatly made.

--Bo

This is the 4th I built. Experimented with different cases and lights but I really like this steel case. Used the OEP transformer, Dale CMF55 metal film resistors + WIMA MKP poly prop caps. Love it.
Hi Faris! This enclosure looks great! Sorry to pull back to an old post, but I'm curious if venting on the case has any impact on the shielding/grounding effect? Have you noticed any issue when using this or other vented enclosures?

Hi Faris! This enclosure looks great! Sorry to pull back to an old post, but I'm curious if venting on the case has any impact on the shielding/grounding effect? Have you noticed any issue when using this or other vented enclosures?
It certainly wouldn't hurt grounding. Affefting shielding is doubtful, but your case won't matter as much as shielding the transformer. OEP seems shields for their transformers and some transformers come shielded.

Thank you for the response Faris! I'm building a two channel unit with Haufe trans and planning another two channel unit with Lundahls, mostly as stage boxes for synths.

Since it worked well for you, I ordered two of the Hammond cases similar (or same?) to the ones you used, the 511-0900 and the 513-0900. My original plan was to use the 1402B housing, which was €50+, but for an expensive enclosure, it felt low quality. Maybe I got unlucky? The faceplate edges were damaged and didn't fit snugly.

Anyway, here are the first two channels, just waiting to wire them up once I have the new housings.

Bo Hansen DI.jpg

Thank you Bo for the design, Volker for the PCBs and trans, and everyone else here for your generosity of knowledge!

Thank you for the response Faris! I'm building a two channel unit with Haufe trans and planning another two channel unit with Lundahls, mostly as stage boxes for synths.

Since it worked well for you, I ordered two of the Hammond cases similar (or same?) to the ones you used, the 511-0900 and the 513-0900. My original plan was to use the 1402B housing, which was €50+, but for an expensive enclosure, it felt low quality. Maybe I got unlucky? The faceplate edges were damaged and didn't fit snugly.

Anyway, here are the first two channels, just waiting to wire them up once I have the new housings.

View attachment 89428

Thank you Bo for the design, Volker for the PCBs and trans, and everyone else here for your generosity of knowledge!
Ah, I see you used the same BOM as I did for my first builds, with the 300 volt resistors!

No issues, just overkill. I ended up revising the BOM for later builds.

Someone posted a Mouser BOM from long ago and I just ordered it. Whoever did it originally must not have been very experienced.

Every so often I see other people ordering it. I posted a better BOM to this thread 2 years ago or so.
I'm a good example of the unexperienced person ordering a BOM! Ricardus, I did consult your BOM, thank you for posting! I'm afraid I was mostly looking for replacements for out-of-stock or obsolete parts, when I should have looked more deeply into it.

I'm a good example of the unexperienced person ordering a BOM! Ricardus, I did consult your BOM, thank you for posting! I'm afraid I was mostly looking for replacements for out-of-stock or obsolete parts, when I should have looked more deeply into it.
I just basically replaced all of those oversized resistors with 1/4 watt 1% that would fit the PCB better. No harm no foul. The bigger resistors work fine.

I posted a public Mouser BOM a couple years ago fixing the issues with the first BOM I downloaded for this build. I updated it again today for someone who asked me about it in a private message.

The original BOM had oversized resistors, so they're all 1/4 watt now. The original BOM also had two of the switching Neutrik 1/4 inch jacks when it really only needs one. Small cost savings there. And this BOM also includes a nice panel mount LED that requires a 4mm hole in your panel. Omit that if you have something else to use. It also has a BC550C and a BC559C for transistors. They were in stock as of today but that won't last!

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManag...jectGUID=df6dbfb1-93de-4770-82fe-d02c158a06c0

Back