Bogen MXM Tube preamp/mixer questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill Wilson said:
I am not trying to be unkind when I say this; the Bogen stuff was not designed to have audio quality for even semi pro recording. It was designed for PA & background music systems. Altec equipment was designed to a higher standard, high quality sound reinforcement; with the exception of their microphones & 250 SU & 350 mixing consoles. I was the sole technician for an Altec Engineering Contractor, also sold & serviced Bogen for PA & bar sound systems, 1958-1965. Would not recommend this piece.

Okay, Bill. You’ve got me curious now. The 250 SU had the 458A/459A amps in it, didn’t it? We’ve talked about those a few times (those crazy transformers) and nothing about them screams less than high quality sound.

Maybe you’re inferring something about reliability? Hot tubes and thin transformer wire?

Would love to hear about your experience with this console.

mjrippe said:
I believe he was saying that the mics and 250 were not for sound reinforcement, but rather for broadcast or recording.

Okay i somehow read it as those not being “high quality”, not “high quality sound reinforcement”

But i do think it’d be interesting to hear about Bill’s experiences with/thoughts on Altec studio gear of that era, being in the trenches with it and all.

thanks, Mike.

BT

Latest posts

Back