Booster Shot

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll take it when available - benefit/risk ratio seems sky high, as in the initial vaccinations. I don't think Bill Gates has much interest in tracking me.

I'll take it if recommended to do so, just like the shot(s) in the arm I received in the elementary school gymnasium in a time long, long ago, before it was something to be argued about.

Good thinking it seems if not in any high risk group. Vaccination coverage in what formerly was called 'third world' is still extremely low.

I'll be taking the booster as a retired person.... All the evidence that I have seen and understood shows that the benefits far outway the risks.
The people I have met here who are anti booster (for targeted groups) are unable to articulate any reasonable reason why it's a bad idea with a reputable vaccine.

tc

CDC advice for booster shots, when available for high risk groups is to wait 8 months after second jab (of Moderna or Pfizer), so no hurry for moi.

They are still researching J&J data since it lagged the other vaccines by a couple month.

JR

In Japan there's talk about administering a smaller dose for the third, especiaally wrt moderna, to keep side reactions low yet achieve comparable/sufficient effectiveness.

Yes, talk of smaller doses for children and boosters.

I heard that they were having trouble getting enough pregnant woman to participate in vaccine trials.

JR

It sounds like they approved Moderna boosters, and pulled in the wait period from 8 months to 6 months after second jab, so I am now eligible. I feel less urgency this time around. I was hoping they might have combo flu shots by now, but not yet. I don't routinely get flu shots.

My older brother got his Pfizer booster and said the booster affected him more than either of the first two Pfizer jabs.

JR

Booster might be a tougher ride for some -- good if close to home, I guess. In Japan, moderna (more spike content) has caused more side-effects than Pfizer. Japanese people are small and thin on average.

Do they do cross-vaccination in the US ? They do in some EU countries (mRNA and AZ). Not so in Japan. However, x-vaccination is common with other vaccines (children) and in 'travel medicine' (i.e. people getting first or follow-up shot in different country).

In Japan it's eligibility for booster exactly after 8 months. Makes me wonder whether they'll have a vaccine update by then -- considering that 'making' the AZ jab, for example, took only 14 days (cos was based on preexisting technology for sars-1 and ebola) but approval took that long cos it went the full official way.

booster will be nuthin compared to the combination shingles/hi octane flu shot i had the other day, made me sick as a dog with muscle aches, fever, nausea,

the nurse told me she had two versions, one normal flu and one extra strength, like an idiot i went for the gusto and paid heavily. maybe the flu alone would have been ok, but two jabs for two different things was not the way to go. i was just trying to save another trip to the voodoo lounge.

shingles/hi octane flu shot i had the other day, made me sick as a dog with muscle aches, fever, nausea
Family member told me the same story few days ago but said it was just for a shingles.

I heard one suggestion that using a moderna booster on top of J&J initial vac generates an exponential increase in immune response...

JR

The number (using a regular Moderna shot and not their half-dose booster) was something like a 75 times greater immune response. I personally am curious about doing the opposite--a J&J booster on top of an mrna vax. I doubt it would create a similar increase, but it might be helpful with long term protection. I have yet to see any research on that, unfortunately.

The number (using a regular Moderna shot and not their half-dose booster) was something like a 75 times greater immune response. I personally am curious about doing the opposite--a J&J booster on top of an mrna vax. I doubt it would create a similar increase, but it might be helpful with long term protection. I have yet to see any research on that, unfortunately.
The general advice is for everyone who got J&J vaccines, is to use a different mrna booster shot, that delivers a stronger immune response than using another J&J booster. I understand the concept of covering more bases using a different vaccine technology but if their immune response measurements are meaningful it doesn't seem that beneficial if at all to use J&J booster on top of a mrna vax.

Back when we were getting first jabs I wanted to use J&J because it was the more conservative conventional (viral vector) approach.

I still find it hard to trust news because of all the political spin and suppression of negative news. So far the worst anti-vax rants appear inaccurate (I'm still alive).

JR

Back