Boycott China?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john12ax7

China has not been honest with the world regarding Covid-19 to the detriment of millions around the world.

Is there an appropriate response we as people can and should take? Shoukd we stop buying pcbs,  components,  and electronics that come from there? Anything else? Or is this the wrong approach?

For starters, I'd like to know precisely why the US paid 3.7 million $ for Corona research to the lab in Wuhan that had a dodgy security history. One of the lab's executives, fi was convicted for selling lab animals to the wet market in Wuhan.

Most media don't seem to report about this and the US govt declined to comment to the few reporters that requested info.

john12ax7 said:
China has not been honest with the world regarding Covid-19 to the detriment of millions around the world.

Is there an appropriate response we as people can and should take? Shoukd we stop buying pcbs,  components,  and electronics that come from there? Anything else? Or is this the wrong approach?

China has a lot to answer for... reportedly they hoarded n95 masks and PPE gear after experiencing human to human transmission, closing off Wuhan from the rest of mainland China while still allowing unfettered air travel outbound to EU and US. and giving wildly inaccurate information to world health agencies (arguably deceptive).

President Trump may have been unusually lucky shutting down inbound transit from China when he did, but Italy and many other countries were not as lucky as we were.

The entire western world is unhappy with China's bad behavior, it is unclear what the proper response is but trade seems like a logical vehicle to apply leverage (punishment) through.

Of course even they deserve the benefit of a doubt so let's develop more hard evidence, but right now they look pretty guilty.

JR

PS: There are already lawsuits against China for damages but these rarely get taken seriously.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/7415082/French-bread-spiked-with-LSD-in-CIA-experiment.html

JohnRoberts said:
President Trump may have been unusually lucky shutting down inbound transit from China when he did, but Italy and many other countries were not as lucky as we were.

How so? That didn’t happen until the beginning of February, all while still touting “hoax”. The outbreak started no later than mid-November. I can only imagine how much travel happened. Doesn’t seem so lucky

I agree with you on all the rest. Although, I wonder how effective trade as punishment will really be when they have just as much leverage there.

Recording Engineer said:
How so? That didn’t happen until the beginning of February, all while still touting “hoax”.
The WHO did not declare COVID19 a pandemic until Mar 11....

The hoax BS is a little fake news from Politico... 

checkyourfact.com said:
Trump referred to the alleged “politicizing” of the coronavirus by Democrats as “their new hoax.” He did not refer to the coronavirus itself as a hoax. Throughout the speech, Trump reiterates his administration is taking the threat of the coronavirus seriously.
  Checkyourfact.co  is apparently related to daily caller...(conservative?)
The outbreak started no later than mid-November. I can only imagine how much travel happened. Doesn’t seem so lucky
The Wuhan outbreak (not patient zero) was coincident with the major new years holiday when many Chinese travel to and from all around the world.

Chinese health professionals were already reporting to their leaders that human to human transmission was occurring as they saw fellow health workers get infected from patients. These reports were ignored and even suppressed. Even after China locked down Wuhan area, they still allowed travel out of China spreading the virus internationally. Intentional or not, this was incredibly irresponsible.

Back then the political opposition was too busy trying to impeach President Trump to notice the Covid19 virus, other than to call his Chinese travel restrictions racist and xenophobic. Now in hindsight he is criticized for not acting sooner and more aggressively. I was speaking tongue in cheek calling him lucky. In hindsight he seems smarter than most who were critical, but they are critical of pretty much anything he says or does. 
I agree with you on all the rest. Although, I wonder how effective trade as punishment will really be when they have just as much leverage there.
China is dependent on supplying goods to the rest of the world to keep their manufacturing workers employed... They will not go back to scraping out a living back on the farm.  Even a communist government depends on keeping their population reasonably satisfied.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
The entire western world is unhappy with China's bad behavior, it is unclear what the proper response is but trade seems like a logical vehicle to apply leverage (punishment) through.

i dont think it will happen. western world cant survive without China's manufacturing...
China can survive without western world!

kambo said:
i dont think it will happen. western world cant survive without China's manufacturing...
China can survive without western world!

China is dependent on supplying goods to the rest of the world to keep their manufacturing workers employed... They will not go back to scraping out a living back on the farm.  Even a communist government depends on keeping their population reasonably satisfied. 

Of course they will not be very responsive to the population suffering short term pain, but longer term if they make the public too unhappy, too long, the communist party can lose influence/control. 

===

The world is learning the downside of being overly dependent on China's supply chain for crucial resources (like medicines, PPE supplies, and a very long list we are just now figuring out. )

The current administration has very aggressively tried to influence manufacturers to build more of their products domestically. I do not expect this policy to reverse any time soon. After Nov if there is an administration change who knows?

JR

JohnRoberts said:

Of course they will not be very responsive to the population suffering short term pain, but longer term if they make the public too unhappy, too long, the communist party can lose influence/control. 

they can easily outrun western counties when it comes to long term suffering. they are use to living on
rice and water! u r not! (not in  person u)

JohnRoberts said:
The world is learning the downside of being overly dependent on China's supply chain for crucial resources (like medicines, PPE supplies, and a very long list we are just now figuring out. )

The current administration has very aggressively tried to influence manufacturers to build more of their products domestically. I do not expect this policy to reverse any time soon. After Nov if there is an administration change who knows?

JR
IMO, there wont be any administration change, and after all this passes by 2021
The current administration will be  very very aggressive to influence manufacturers to build products domestically.

kambo said:
they can easily outrun western counties when it comes to long term suffering. they are use to living on
rice and water! u r not! (not in  person u)
Do you mean fish heads and rice?

I've actually been to China (once on business). I do not see them tolerating going back to the former levels of poverty.  That could cause another revolution there, but I would expect a communist party leadership change before that was allowed to happen.
IMO, there wont be any administration change, and after all this passes by 2021
The current administration will be  very very aggressive to influence manufacturers to build products domestically.

I can't predict the future accurately (I was wrong in 2016).  ;D

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Do you mean fish heads and rice?
no, i mean water and rice. you use to eat an egg once in your lifetime if you lucky!
now is better! but that doesnt change the fact they are more use to dealing with it!

JohnRoberts said:
I've actually been to China (once on business).
so you have visited a city ? not inland small village !

JohnRoberts said:
I do not see them tolerating going back to the former levels of poverty.  That could cause another revolution there, but I would expect a communist party leadership change before that was allowed to happen.
another revolution has already started, but its tough and difficult against communist party leadership!

JohnRoberts said:
I can't predict the future accurately (I was wrong in 2016).  ;D

JR

i dont remember your prediction for 2016, but if your prediction was about elections,
i am glad you were so wrong  ;D

kambo said:
no, i mean water and rice. you use to eat an egg once in your lifetime if you lucky!
as they rise out of poverty they are quickly acquiring western tastes for protein (and diabetes, and obesity, and...).
now is better! but that doesnt change the fact they are more use to dealing with it!
the old people may, but young won't... I remember when they were happy to have a bicycle, now they all want cars.
so you have visited a city ? not inland small village !
I stayed in hong kong for about a week working there and day tripping into the mainland to visit several factories. Mostly in the Guangdong area. Many of the factory workers there were from poor rural areas in the north. 
another revolution has already started, but its tough and difficult against communist party leadership!
The communist government remembers how they gained power, so are likely to be cautious.
i dont remember your prediction for 2016, but if your prediction was about elections,
i am glad you were so wrong  ;D
me too... but that is old news, we are only months away from the next decision.

JR

Back