Breakfeast of champions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

Back in the old days porridge was typically soaked over night , then boiled on the stove top next morning.
Since the microwave oven has become common currency  its just fling the ingredients together and zap.
We had a schedualed power outage in the area recently , I had to get out the auxiliary camping gas stove
out for the porridge and cuppa tea . What I'd become used to from the microwave was an insipid  dehydrated lump of crap ,
what came out of the pot much much better , less of the water boiled off , the stiring helped tenderise the oats ,
completely different to what 'modern technology' was serving me up .

I can only assume the microwave is a huge waste of power ,even if it saves a few minutes and a little more effort stiring,
anyway fck it , I'm going back to the old fashioned way of doing it .

I use the stove for oatmeal and it’s regular oatmeal not quick oatmeal.  Add your blueberrys and copped nuts and brown sugar and cinnamon.  Comes out great.  I hate those little packets. 

Tubetec said:
Back in the old days porridge was typically soaked over night , then boiled on the stove top next morning.
Since the microwave oven has become common currency  its just fling the ingredients together and zap.
We had a schedualed power outage in the area recently , I had to get out the auxiliary camping gas stove
out for the porridge and cuppa tea . What I'd become used to from the microwave was an insipid  dehydrated lump of crap ,
what came out of the pot much much better , less of the water boiled off , the stiring helped tenderise the oats ,
completely different to what 'modern technology' was serving me up .

I can only assume the microwave is a huge waste of power ,even if it saves a few minutes and a little more effort stiring,
anyway fck it , I'm going back to the old fashioned way of doing it .
microwave is in fact more efficient heating only the food, not everything....  that said it is not known for culinary excellence, best for heating or reheating stuff....

JR

JohnRoberts said:
microwave is in fact more efficient heating only the food, not everything....  that said it is not known for culinary excellence, best for heating or reheating stuff....

JR

Exactly. There's a lot of documentation about how cooking in a microwave is inferior precisely because cooking things over more time causes more chemical reactions to take place that are necessary for the textures and flavors we are used to.

I use it for pretty much re-heating only. And then not always. Pizza reheated in an oven, or at least a toaster oven is always better than the nuker.

Ricardus said:
Exactly. There's a lot of documentation about how cooking in a microwave is inferior precisely because cooking things over more time causes more chemical reactions to take place that are necessary for the textures and flavors we are used to.

I use it for pretty much re-heating only. And then not always. Pizza reheated in an oven, or at least a toaster oven is always better than the nuker.
I’m a cold pizza guy when it comes to leftovers.

Have you guys tried overnight oats?

Back