brit EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the typical ISA one-ten type. I haven't checked the frequencies, but the layout, behaviour and switch functions look like a direct copy.

Interestingly, the original G-series EQ was supposed to try and emulate a couple of features, specifically [x3] [÷3] switches for the high mid and low mid, as well as variable bandwidth/constant Q with different ±cut/boost settings. (as opposed to the E-series which had variable Q/constant bandwidth with different ±cut/boost settings)

Actually, the way that SSL switches between Constant Q/constant bandwidth is ineresting, I haven't got my head fully around what makes it tick just yet... I might start a thread to see if any of the illuminati round here can clue me in...

Keith

First time I've come across a pullup resistor at the output of an IC opamp in a commercial product. I've seen pulldowns, going to V-, but not a pullup going to V+.

Peace,
Paul

Hello everyone.

This is my first post here but I kinda feel like I know everyone already since I've been, what's affectionately referred to as, 'lurking around' for some time.

Has anyone tried to build one of these Brit EQs using the PCB layouts provided? Having read some reviews of the original units (in S.O.S.) and some of the comments by the kind person at akustische-kunst, I?m very interested in trying this circuit, however nobody other than the guy/gal at akustische-kunst seems to be building it. Is this because there better DIY options available in the IC category, or is it merely that its quite a complicated circuit compared to a Calrec for example?

What are people?s views on the sound of this circuit? Paul White concluded that it was: ?a classic Neve-designed equaliser that meets pretty much any creative or corrective challenge with panache?.

Does anyone have the original schematic that they wouldn?t mind PMing to me?

Thanks

Mark

[quote author="Mlewis"]Paul White concluded that it was: ?a classic Neve-designed equaliser that meets pretty much any creative or corrective challenge with panache?.
[/quote]

I don't trust anything written in Sound on Sound. I used to buy the magazine, but looking back, I now think that a lot of it is consumer rubbish.

I don't trust anything written in Sound on Sound. I used to buy the magazine, but looking back, I now think that a lot of it is consumer rubbish.

I`m with you there. I never saw a bad review in SOS. Maybe its got something to do with the fact that many of the products they review are made by companies who happen to advertise in SOS. Just a hunch !!! :wink:

I've read many glowing reviews by them of products which have been slated here.

They never say a bad thing about Deadringer equipment. They almost praise their mic preamps.

They said the budget GT mics were great..... I'd like to hear them myself.

One guy said in the original Oktava MK219 that he had trouble hearing any difference between it and his Microtech Gefell Condenser... How is that possible?

Their Q and A section is a joke. Their online forum consists of bedroom recordists asking if they should upgrade to a U47 because they have a boxy vocal recording. I don't think any of the readers have a reasonable understanding of acoustics.

Anyway, I better stop hijacking and ranting.

i read an sos review the other day that raved about the line six pod.....
about how it was the greatest thing since sliced bread....

we all know the truth don't we?

:roll:

[quote author="Mlewis"]
Does anyone have the original schematic that they wouldn?t mind PMing to me?
[/quote]

Hey Mark,

Welcome to the forum. The schematic at the link, is a page from the original service manual of the focuswrong circuit:
http://www.akustische-kunst.org/audio/circuits/shelfEQ.pdf
http://www.akustische-kunst.org/audio/circuits/balancedIO.pdf
http://www.akustische-kunst.org/audio/circuits/parametricEQ.pdf
By the way, the guy with the akustische-kunst page was ( is? ) a forum member. I remember at the old forum a member posted this link as his page, but I can't remember who was (two or three years ago).

chrissugar

Right.... Thanks for the response.

I kinda assumed that they had redrawn the schematic for some reason.

cheers

Mark

(note to self: don't mention said magazine again!)

I can't remember, it was long ago. I should dig my archives from the old place, but who has time for this.

chrissugar

I think it was Olafmatt from Germany. He's a member of this forum (the new one) as well, but I think he hasn't posted for a while.

Back