Bss dpr 402 service manual request

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

I know we have schematics in the tech docs but wondering if there is service manual with a bom list. Lots of lytics in those and would hate to miss a value when ordering parts.
Also looking for calibration instructions.
Got 3 units in an auction and only one comes close to matching what the manual says should be happen

It has been probably 5+ years since I worked on one, but back then I was able to purchase one of the original switch assemblies from BSS. If they are still in business perhaps they will share the info?

I know we have schematics in the tech docs but wondering if there is service manual with a bom list. Lots of lytics in those and would hate to miss a value when ordering parts.
Also looking for calibration instructions.
Got 3 units in an auction and only one comes close to matching what the manual says should be happen
Do you have any idea where they came from? Reason I ask...if they came from a studio, they will probably be in fairly pristine condition on the outside while needing a complete re-cap and may have pot and switch issues. If they came from the live sound world, they will probably be more beat up in appearance but may still have plenty of life in the caps and other parts.
I'm attaching a list of caps from the last one I recapped, around ten years ago.

Attachments

• DPR 402 cap list.pdf
    30.4 KB · Views: 57
Do you have any idea where they came from? Reason I ask...if they came from a studio, they will probably be in fairly pristine condition on the outside while needing a complete re-cap and may have pot and switch issues. If they came from the live sound world, they will probably be more beat up in appearance but may still have plenty of life in the caps and other parts.
I'm attaching a list of caps from the last one I recapped, around ten years ago.
These were road hard and put away wet. Of the 3 units i picked. Up on the el cheapo. Testing on the ap using a +4dBU sine wave at 1k, only one outputs close to +20dBU with no compression. based on the manual and the silk screen I assume that is closer to spec then the others which user the same test at full volume and no compression give me +4dBU.

Many thanks for the list there. 😎

Last edited:
Cool… I’ll ask. I am always weary when dealing with any Harmon umbrella brand

I was afraid recently of the same thing when I needed parts for 2 AKG mics.
But I was able to order them with no problems from my local Pro AKG division distributor. The hardest thing was that I needed the reference number for the parts, but fortunately I was able to get them in manuals.

In the US, Fullcompass also gave me quote for those parts even though they were not listed in their website. So its always good to contact Fullcompass for parts being listed or not in their website.

I didn't know BSS was under Harmon also, now I know, a bit strange they have BSS and DBX.

Good luck for the repair Pucho

Nope. That was Uli's Music Cult's doing.

Yes, it’s a company from the Philippines called Music Tribe now

“Music Tribe, formerly Music Group, is a holding company based in the City of Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines. It is chaired by Uli Behringer, founder of Behringer. Music Tribe's portfolio includes Behringer, Cool Audio, Midas, Turbosound, TC Electronic and TC-Helicon, Tannoy, Klark Teknik, Lab.gruppen, and Aston Microphones.”

Last edited:
Again, sorry for the off topic, but WOW what a shitshow of acquisitions!
Yup. I will never forgive Uli for the way he’s trashed so many once fine brand names. A had a friend who was working for a local TC/Tannoy/Dynaudio warehouse and service location. This place had been around since it was the Canadian Tannoy HQ (if memory serves).

When Tribe took over he actually met Uli doing the gladhanding tour. “Oh how we’re going to give you all everything you need!”

Killed off the Dynaudio association, shut the place down maybe a year or so later- centralized “repairs” (read: replace everything) somewhere in the US and everyone there was out of work.

From everything i’ve ever heard about him he’s a ruthless, avaricious piece of shit with little to no moral compass. It’s tragic what’s become of some of the best brands in the business at his hands.

Not too different than what happened to the Crown factory in Elkhart. Samsung moved everything to Korea, leaving a few hundred people looking for a job.
They also closed AKG and the Soundcraft factory, where BSS was also made. dbx manufacturing had long been moved to the Far East, though.
Ruthless management rules...

just received word back from Harman on the DPR 402.
There is no calibration procedure for that particular unit.

Say what? luckily we have schematics in the tech doc section. Challenge accepted. Luckily all the barrier strips are configured as per the factory manual.

So Harman pointed me in the direction of a Harman recommended service center that deals in discontinued product.
The service center basically told me, they don't hand out schematics(They don't know I have one. Thanks GDIY), It sounds like capacitor failure, something the units are notorious for, that any repairs would far exceed the value of the unit. The fact they say the repairs would far exceed the value is one way of saying it's a time consuming job, we don't want to do it. I myself have used similar lines in the past for gear with certain people because I can spot the hassle.
Anyway Cap job, I have a system for that.
1. first mark every cap in the unit getting replaced with a sharpie or other marker. Doesn't have to be a big mark, just a dot that denotes if a cap is getting replaced. This also shows when new caps are installed because they do not have the scarlet letter.
2. use a vacuum desolder gun. Not the mechanical push button kind, no solder wick. But a nice electric desolder gun. They heat up like a solder iron and have a vacuum pump to remove all the solder. If you carefully wiggle the cap while sucking out the solder, can get a nice clean open through hole and pad ready to populate with new parts.
3.populate with a new part. I sometimes do one cap at a time, it takes longer but ensures it's correct. For some units or sections, I may do a bank of all one value out, then new caps in.

Back