Budget 192khz A/D

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fingers crossed Ivans new cosmos gizmos will do the trick and put an end to your seemingly endless collection of door stops once and for all Abbey.

Yeak, I guess I'm too old a dog to learn how to go through these hoops and loops.
It seems TI are really wanting to make you sweat for the privilege of buying their stuff.
BTW I keep receiving messages from both their Tech support and their forum asking if my problem is solved, and please leave a nice comment about the way your problem has been handled by us...

Fingers crossed Ivans new cosmos gizmos will do the trick and put an end to your seemingly endless collection of door stops once and for all Abbey.
I received the Cosmos today. It seems to do what it should.
However I found out that the Topping E30 DAC limits the frequency response to about 20-22kHz.
Another door stop added to my collection!
So I'm waiting till the Cosmos DAC is on the market...

Heres some new info on the ES9038 pro dac ,
https://www.esstech.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/ES9038PRO-Datasheet-v3.7.pdfConfidential advance information apparently , are we supposed to sign a 'Non dis' before viewing it .
single channel gives -132db noise , 8 channels in parallel yields -140 db SNR ,but not without 3 op amps per channel as shown in the technical data .
A pristine 24 bit signal can get -144db s/n , 32 bit can get a theoretical -190db noise level , next to impossible to realise those figures in the real world though . Obviously the Cosmos dac wants at least -130db noise just to keep up with the ADC performance , then the APU might filter out another 20 db or more over a specific frequency range .Its not far off the best Audio Precision specs for the equivalent of pocket change .
A recording system with 130db dynamic range and 180khz+ bandwidth isnt required for rock n roll thats for sure , but it might preserve the scale of an orchestra going from quiet to loud intact , from a whisper to a roar .

Heres some new info on the ES9038 pro dac ,
https://www.esstech.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/ES9038PRO-Datasheet-v3.7.pdfConfidential advance information apparently , are we supposed to sign a 'Non dis' before viewing it .
single channel gives -132db noise , 8 channels in parallel yields -140 db SNR ,but not without 3 op amps per channel as shown in the technical data .
A pristine 24 bit signal can get -144db s/n , 32 bit can get a theoretical -190db noise level , next to impossible to realise those figures in the real world though . Obviously the Cosmos dac wants at least -130db noise just to keep up with the ADC performance , then the APU might filter out another 20 db or more over a specific frequency range .Its not far off the best Audio Precision specs for the equivalent of pocket change .
A recording system with 130db dynamic range and 180khz+ bandwidth isnt required for rock n roll thats for sure , but it might preserve the scale of an orchestra going from quiet to loud intact , from a whisper to a roar .
Quite an achievement. However, I strongly suspect my ears will once again much prefer my sign-magnitude R2R DAC with 0.007% THD, no DC offset filter and a reconstruction filter that shaves off a little more top frequencies to ensure better time domain behaviour at low sampling rates. Even when listening to orchestra recordings. ;-)

After TI support has taken me for a 3 weeks ride, today I received a mail from TI saying:
"Important Note:
This update is a mandatory for all the users as this fixes an important issue in PPC3 Sign In. Please make sure to update the Platform to v3.2.1 at the earliest to avoid issues in installing any new apps or updating older apps."

I made the update and guess what? It works, now! I've tried only on the laptop and now I'll try on the notebook.
I conclude that TI support, as well as TI's supervised forum are not in the loop.

I finally got the Cosmos ADC and Topping DAC working together.
However it's not quite satisfactory since the internal filter in the DAC acts weird.
I'm sure it's the DAC because I have checked the ADC with my audio gen that goes up to 200+kHz, and it confirmed the ADC is flat up to 170+kHz.
The 384k graph is from the actual measurement with REW. The 6 modes give exactly the same response.
For comparison, the 96k graph is from the brochure and is in accordance with the AK4493 datasheet.
384 kHz mode is not documented in the datasheet.
I'm more and more eager to see the Cosmos ADC available.

Attachments

• DAC FR@384k SR.jpg
    DAC FR@384k SR.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DAC FR@96k SR.jpg
    DAC FR@96k SR.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Was that the Flexaudio Asio driver you used Abbey?
The Comtrue driver seems to have a few issues , specifically running at 384khz with REW .
Ivan is in close contact with the chipset manufacturer and its my guess the issues will be ironed out soon .
He has a discord page here relating to cosmos ADC in case of any questions ,

https://discord.gg/AAus72ZEpu

Was that the Flexaudio Asio driver you used Abbey?
Yes. John Mulcahy recommended it over ASIO4ALL that has some issues also with 384k.
The Comtrue driver seems to have a few issues , specifically running at 384khz with REW .
Don't know about it...
Ivan is in close contact with the chipset manufacturer and its my guess the issues will be ironed out soon .
I hope so.
He has a discord page here relating to cosmos ADC in case of any questions ,
I noticed he communicates on discord, but when I found out it was some kind of Facebook/Twitter wannabe that propagates malwares I fled courageously.
Why can't people put their pages on a website?

Discord has had its fair share of horror stories alright , including the release of tens of thousands of compromising images scraped from other social media providers . It tries to get you to download the app , I just use the online version and havent had any issues with it . I guess the reason people use it is its quick, easy and free to set up , then again saying ' no such thing as a free lunch ' comes into play . Its a technological jungle out there .

Why can't people put their pages on a website?
Good question. SSL certs used to be expensive but if you're a non-profit you can use Let's Encrypt. Certs are only good for 3 months but you just install the auto-update script and never have to worry about it again. That leaves domain registration and hosting. Domain registration comes out to about $20 / year. For hosting, I'm pretty sure there are some free options but they're probably limited to static pages. Then you have proper copyright control over your content. If you want a forum, ZenForo (the forum software used by this site) is not really that expensive. PHP hosting is probably $15 / mo. If you're selling a product then it's tax deductible (but you would then have to buy a proper cert).

Abbey, which cosmos 'bundle" did you buy? Do you know if the only difference is on the noisefloor? I'm asking because I'm trying to be a bit cheap and get "bundle 1" which hopefully will still be OK for most of the tasks.

Also, probably a silly question but does anyone knows whether the cosmos would work on a mac?

Abbey, which cosmos 'bundle" did you buy?
I took the "B" bundle, as it was the only one available.
Do you know if the only difference is on the noisefloor?
I'm not so sure but it looks like it, although there may be a difference in THD (as they may be difficult to discriminate from each other)
I'm asking because I'm trying to be a bit cheap and get "bundle 1" which hopefully will still be OK for most of the tasks.
I haven't seen a price for the "C" version, but I doubt it's significantly cheaper...

When I looked at it on the US site [1] it says Bundle 3=Grade A for $199 USD and now there's a Bundle 4=Grade 0. So clearly they have fiddling with the language presumably because it was confusing with it not matching the typical letter grade scale. They should have just changed it to "Grade C > Grade B > Grade A > Grade AA".

About the grades, the site currently reads:

SNR=DR@MONO:
129db(A) and better Grade-0
128-129db(A) Grade-A,
127+/-1db(A) Grade-B,
<126db(A) Grade-C >125db(A)
STEREO mode has 3db worse SNR/DR

So it looks like the difference in each grade is about 1dB SNR in mono mode.

1635167902080.png
[1] One particularly annoying thing about aliexpress is that if you visit the de.aliexpress.com site, visiting the non-de site will redirect you to the de site. Boy it really tweaks me when software tries to "help" you. I had to delete my aliexpress.com cookies to get to the US site.

Cookies are a scourge indeed , especially when they attempt to corral you . Back in the days of dial up internet cookies I guess did help things load faster , nowadays its all about keeping track of potential customers .

Regarding frequency response of the Topping E30 at 384kHz, I guess I should have googled more surveys, since this one
https://www.gadgetguy.com.au/topping-e30-usb-digital-to-analogue-converter-oh-what-a-bargain/shows exactly the situation. -3dB @85kHz, actually the same response than at 192k SR.
I must say it is adequate for many tasks, but still I would have expected some more extension.
Topping have a new model, the D50, that uses an ESS chip (ES9068A), probably the same that Cosmos uses in their upcoming DAC. I have not seen a proper review of the D50 though.
The quest is not over...
EDIT: actually, the Cosmos DAC is poised to use a duet of ES9038A. The manufacturer (E1DA) have two DAC's in dongle form, where the frequency response at 384k is published, about -3dB@140kHz, that REW can probably linearize easily since the noise spectrum is flat enough.
I may consider using of of these dongles while waiting for the launch of the Cosmos DAC, which could be some months in the waiting. The main issue with these dongles is the tiny 2.5mm TRRS jack, though! The unbalanced connection is not an issue, since I already have an interface box with 20dB possible gain and a THAT1646.
To be followed...

Last edited:
From what I can tell the 9038SG3 has balanced outs on TRRS , the 9038D has regular TRS unbalanced .
9038SG3 also has wider frequency responce +0.1/-0.3 @ 100khz compared to around 80khz -1db on the D variant . Astonishing that a DAC the size of your thumb and USB powered can perform so well , battery powering the ADC or DAC via a standard USB power bank and y splitter cable is also possible .

Latest posts

Back