[BUILD] All things RackNeve

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 and 9 dB readings are delta (ie difference). So the RMS voltage depends on the reference level. You can monitor your output signal level in the DAW and take a note of your reference bypassed level in dBFS. Then your goal is to set the threshold so that the output level is 9 dBFS less (adjust the threshold and ratio only, don't touch your signal gen!). For example, if you get -10 dBFS reading in bypass, you should get approximately -19 dBFS when compressing.
If you insist on AC volts RMS readings, I suggest setting your output level to a convenient reference (for example, 0 dBV), and work from there. You should be able to calculate V RMS for -9dBV easily.
Thanks, I will give it a try, You were right about the chopper I replaced it with the pn3640 and it now works great!!!

I know it's probably very simple to do this calibration, I just can't wrap my head around what you are explaining, it's not a big deal anyway,,,If you put up a video or step by step pics with explanations on calibrating the compressor that would be awesome, If not possible no worries.

I think you're overcomplicating this in your head. Really, this is very easy. I can't do any pictorial or video right now. But the idea is the same as adjusting GR meter circuit in 1176. There's a ton of info and videos on that subject. PYE meter is the same, just different reference points.
My apologies for not being able to clarify this any further at this point in time. Let me know if you still can't wrap your head around a procedure and we'll maybe organize a zoom conference or something - this is much faster, than preparing another tutorial.

Can I use the grayhill 71BDF30-03PAJS in lieu of the 71BDF30-03PAJN
Looks like the only difference it's a shorting type rather then a non shorting

Can I use the grayhill 71BDF30-03PAJS in lieu of the 71BDF30-03PAJN
Looks like the only difference it's a shorting type rather then a non shorting
Yes you can. In that position the shorting/non-shorting type doesn’t make any difference.

Having Trouble understanding the directions for the volume board wires. Like what gauge wire? Do I need to buy microphone cable? Do I need to attach or solder a separate wire to make this happen?

Attachments

• 1630783348464_Screenshot_20210525-100257_Chrome.jpg
    1630783348464_Screenshot_20210525-100257_Chrome.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 15
Having Trouble understanding the directions for the volume board wires. Like what gauge wire? Do I need to buy microphone cable? Do I need to attach or solder a separate wire to make this happen?
Which kit are you talking about?
In general you need any shielded twisted pair that you have at hand. It’s convenient to use a slim mic cable, but almost anything will work just fine.

Hi IIya
Is there an alternate for the Kobiconn 164-9006-E , mouser, digikey, and newark don't have them.
Thanks, Tony

Can I use the TQ2-2M-12V in place of the TQ2-12V
This is make before break version. In general yes, you can.
You can also use an Omron G6K-2P relays (please check the relay footprint, I'm pretty sure that it accepts both TQ2 and G6K). G6K-2P-DC12 are in stock at Mouser.

Which kit are you talking about?
In general you need any shielded twisted pair that you have at hand. It’s convenient to use a slim mic cable, but almost anything will work just fine.
I have the Neve VR rack kit

I have the Neve VR rack kit
Ok. For the volume board connection, you need two pieces of mic cable and two regular wires (AWG 24-22). Put these wires on the pins 1 and 6 of the connector, and mic cables signal wires go to pins 2-5. The idea behind the wire, soldered to the shield, is to be able to connect the shield to chassis. Since all the connector contacts are used, the shield is connected separately (as described in the following section of the guide).

Planing to build the 1290 and 73eq in custom mounted space, i have the marinar line xformer wich i used according to a certain wiring to act similar to the mic one. I wanted to know if i can simply make the 1290 mostly a line preamp with the option to accept mic?

also if one would stray from the design and use another xformer for the output (marinair line backwards or utc 500:500) is that generaly safe and while not original, would be a valid way? I have those here so i d rather use them.

I doubt you can use line input transformer to accept mic signal. The gain will be very low, and impedances won't be correct. You can use it as a line input though. I can put some guidelines here if you choose this option.

For an output, you need a proper LO1166 transformer. It's designed to handle a certain amount of DC in the primary, and you can't stick any random transformer in that position and hope that it will work. It won't.
What you can do is take an unbalanced output of 1290 (pin F of BA283) and stick your output transformer there. This might work with some minor circuit modification, but I can't guarantee that it will work correctly.

I am about to build the rackneve 1290 (using a marinair 31267 BW) + 73EQ in coming days-weeks.
first of all i ve to salute Ilya for an amazing info-service beforehand. I had many questions and he was always happy to help before i even made a purchase. We agreed i continue any further questions here.

also the pcbs i got are of very high quality and the 1290 looks like og vintage design from below.

so one mod of the design i try to archieve as funny it may be is to ad my UTC a20 somehow into the signal chain as i know and love its sound when driven/trimmed. I would prefer to not add another gain stage for this as i prefer to use the 1290 and cant afford another high quality gain stage.

so i wonder Ilya or anyone familiar with the neve shematics, if it would be possible to add the UTC a20 (500:500) as an interstage transformer within the 1290 circuit so it can be driven with the gain and trimmed with the trim of the preamp. A big plus would be if i could switch it in/out for genuine neve sound and mod sound. Another big big plus plus would be if the utc as interstage could be used for suming the mic and line inputs in a elegant way or even open the option of 2x mono line In.

in my present non high end preamp i drive the utc with around 10-20db depending on the source and trim with a i think 500 ohms pot. Might be 1k.

as output i ordered the UTM 3548.

one thing i am not sure about is if my marinair and the UTM are definitely needing zoebel but afaik they do.
if the UTC can be used, where would be a good fit and what about zoebel?

another „mod“ of the design i want to do is to use the JLM mentioned wiring of the marinair 31267 to have 2 mic inputs + a line input. I will use line a lot so its a very important aspect for me.

Last edited:
Back