[BUILD] CAPI 511-VPR~Filtered 500 Series 11 Space Rack~Official Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up cutting the trace and terminated it directly from the XLR to the edge connector, the Pin 2 pad on the PCB was shorted to ground somehow, weird. 

dudeitsree said:
I ended up cutting the trace and terminated it directly from the XLR to the edge connector, the Pin 2 pad on the PCB was shorted to ground somehow, weird.
VERY strange.

Hi there...
I just build a 511 VPR, I was wondering if there is any checking guide somewhere beforeI load any rack and having trouble!
there is also a way to check if each rack space work properly?
thanks

Blondino said:
Hi there...
I just build a 511 VPR, I was wondering if there is any checking guide somewhere beforeI load any rack and having trouble!
there is also a way to check if each rack space work properly?
thanks
We always check the DC voltages before loading modules. Once those are verified we use a preamp or something to test each slot.

jsteiger said:
We always check the DC voltages before loading modules. Once those are verified we use a preamp or something to test each slot.

Ok I did it, each channel gave me between 15.5/16.5 VDC on pin 12 and same numbers but negative on pin 14.
I did it putting the common on pin 13 then switching the other cable on 12 or 14. I'm not sure if is the best way to do it but those thing freak me out. In fact I accidentally touch for an instant 13 and 14 on channel 4 and saw a little sparkle :-\. Then I checked the value and seems fine. I will wait before loading something on that channel ;D.

Thanks Alex

Blondino said:
Ok I did it, each channel gave me between 15.5/16.5 VDC on pin 12 and same numbers but negative on pin 14.
I did it putting the common on pin 13 then switching the other cable on 12 or 14. I'm not sure if is the best way to do it but those thing freak me out. In fact I accidentally touch for an instant 13 and 14 on channel 4 and saw a little sparkle :-\. Then I checked the value and seems fine. I will wait before loading something on that channel ;D.

Thanks Alex
It will be fine. The main supply voltages are on a continuous PCB trace so that slot's supply voltage will be the same as all the rest. A direct short for a split second is not desirable but not the end of the world either.

Curious about users thoughts on the smps psu vs the linear floor box. Does it make a noticeable difference on pre’s or compressors? Anyone that’s actually tried both?

Hey Jeff, I just finished up the building the CAPI 511-VPR XLR Filtered Rack. Started testing with my friends Radial Workhorse ps. It's the same model #. I'm not getting power to the modules and before I start troubleshooting I'd like to know if this ps from Radial is compatible. Pin 1 com, 2 +48v, 3 -16v, 4 com, 5 +16v.
I'm getting oscillating voltage on rack pin 12, no voltage on pins 14&15.
Thanks

The Radial is obviously not compatible:

SMPS-label.jpg

Homestudio said:
Hey Jeff, I just finished up the building the CAPI 511-VPR XLR Filtered Rack. Started testing with my friends Radial Workhorse ps. It's the same model #. I'm not getting power to the modules and before I start troubleshooting I'd like to know if this ps from Radial is compatible. Pin 1 com, 2 +48v, 3 -16v, 4 com, 5 +16v.
I'm getting oscillating voltage on rack pin 12, no voltage on pins 14&15.
Thanks
As Volker has pointed out, the Radial is NOT compatible. They do not follow the standard API VPR protocol. I have the DC pinout screen printed on the back of the rack where the DC plugs in. Maybe you missed that?

Thank you, that's what I suspected and yes I did miss the pinout on the back! Do you think I might have damaged the unit?

keeeth said:
Hi

I recently got the db25 kit and I put it together last night but it doesn't appear to be working right

I have a pair of diyre colour modules in there and the lights on them just slowly pulse and I don't get any signal. The power supply's blue light comes is on until I plug it into the rack at which point it goes off

I have got a video I can show you but I'm not sure how to post it

Can anyone help?

Cheers

I’ve been having the same issue, except that mine was working for 5 months before it started doing this. The PSU reads properly when not plugged in to the rack, but when it is, pin 3 fluctuates between 1.2 to 1.7v and pin 4 fluctuates between -5.1 to - 5.5v. I’ve checked that all the caps are the right way (even though that was probably redundant seeing as it worked). I’ve tried with and without modules installed. Was anyone ever able to solve this issue?

Thanks

Brinporter said:
I’ve been having the same issue, except that mine was working for 5 months before it started doing this. The PSU reads properly when not plugged in to the rack, but when it is, pin 3 fluctuates between 1.2 to 1.7v and pin 4 fluctuates between -5.1 to - 5.5v. I’ve checked that all the caps are the right way (even though that was probably redundant seeing as it worked). I’ve tried with and without modules installed. Was anyone ever able to solve this issue?

Thanks

I'd like to know as well.  I'm about to start a filtered DB25 build and want to be sure to avoid this or to fix this before it becomes a problem down the road.

Having a weird issue with my 511-VPR rack I just completed about a week ago. All was well for the first week and now channel 4 has significantly reduced signal and becomes a telephonic filter essetialy when I engage any module on that channel. All the other channels are fine.. Power supply isnt doing anything funky. Any thoughts anybody?

I just finished my 511 rack (DB25, filtered, switch mode PS) and the voltages are cycling a bit. +48 between 46.21 and 46.89, +16 between 16.14 and 16.40, -16 between -14.78 and -16.21. No modules installed. Is this normal? I measured the pins of the power supply itself and the voltages there are completely steady.

Ok so I checked It over in more detail and everything is where it should be. Checked for solder bridges, even reflowed the solder joints at each cap and choke. Voltages are still oscillating. Does anyone have any ideas?

You can try putting a module in to see if a small load helps it stabilize...although we've never seen that exact problem here.

Well dang, that’s all it took. I was afraid of messing up one of my fine CAPI preamps with janky power. One VP26 of load and it’s rock solid now. Thanks Jeff!

Back