[BUILD] CAPI Dual VPR & 51x Floor Box PSU~Official Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsteiger

White Market Member
Since these kits have been released, it’s now time for the support thread.  ;)

These cool kits are multi-purpose. Depending upon the bundle purchased, they will power up to (2) 51x style 511 rack kits or (2) VPR style 511 rack kits. That is a total of 22 modules.  8)

If you are in North America, the bundles can be found here

If you are elsewhere in the world, please send an email request to kitorder[at]51xAudio[dot]com and the appropriate sales person will be in touch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 21st, 2015 Update:
All support docs for this project can be found on the recently added
Support Docs page at www.capi-gear.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is some pron of a finished unit.

FB-51x-1C-front-600x450.jpg

FB-51x-2C-front-600x450.jpg

FB-angle-600x450.jpg

FB-guts-1-600x450.jpg

FB-guts-2-600x450.jpg

FB-guts-3-600x450.jpg

FB-heatsink-600x450.jpg

FB-rear-600x450.jpg

Cheers from the 51x Staff  :)

Clarification question as the answer seems a bit ambiguous on your webstore description.

Does a single floor box PSU power two 51x racks (22 slots) at full 51x spec?  130ma on 22 slots on all 4 rails (+16v, -16v, +24v, -24v) simultaneously. . . or does it power 22 slots at +-24v OR +-16v, but not simultaneously.  I'm fairly certain in actual use in my studio, full load like that would never happen, but I just wanted to know the limits.

I understand that the VPR option (+-16v only) without the 24v rails can go 2 full racks with a different toroid included in the kit.

'Chung, the info is there you just need to sift thru maybe too much boring text from me... :eek:

From the store:
Once completed, this Floor Box PSU Bundle can supply DC to eleven 500 series modules running on +/-16V at full VPR spec (130mA per module, per rail) and eleven 51x series modules running on +/-24V at full 51x spec (130mA per module, per rail).

This is essentially the same PSU that you have built using Volker's PCB only reformatted.

I found an error on the skiz and BOM so I just uploaded new pdf's for both. The nine .1uF film caps were listed as 50V when they are in fact 100V.

Our components kits do indeed come with the proper 100V version so no worries for folks who have built or are building them.

john12ax7 said:
Any plans to ever turn this into a rack version?
We had the rack version out a while ago. They were super nice but a little expensive. We did sell thru a hundred or so but it took a while. I heard many people comment about the price and how they didn't want to loose precious rack space so I developed this lower cost Floor Box solution. I have no plans on doing a rack mount case.

Cemal does still have a dual PSU rack mount case in stock I believe. You can send an email to the kitorder address and ask him.

1. When setting voltage rails high by .7v, do I raise both + and -. In other words, do I set +16 to +16.7 and -16 to -15.3 ?  Or do I go +16.7 and -16.7 ?

2. Is there a proximity problem of having the PSU sit on top of the 11 space rack? The cord length won't let the PSU sit on the floor (my rack it about 6 feet up), so if I set the PS on top of the 11 space rack, would it add noise in the 500 modules? (mic pre's, EQs, compressors, etc).

rob61 said:
Or do I go +16.7 and -16.7 ?
Yes, this is correct.

2. Is there a proximity problem of having the PSU sit on top of the 11 space rack? The cord length won't let the PSU sit on the floor (my rack it about 6 feet up), so if I set the PS on top of the 11 space rack, would it add noise in the 500 modules? (mic pre's, EQs, compressors, etc).
I don't know for sure as I have never tested this. You will have to let us know if the modules pick up some interference or hum. The kit(s) come with a 5' piece of the 7 core cable. I have had guys increase this to suit their specific needs.

Thanks. Got the voltages set so its time to load up some modules and test it out.
newrack.jpg

Finished my build! What a great build that was. Took me a mere two hours from start to finish.
Material quality is superb and the documentation made it all that easier.

Well done for a great product and docs!

What is the idea of having 1000uF after the regulator?
In general a much lower value is used in this place, because the ripple rejection of the regulator is very good and the noise is low.
A large capacitor after the regulator will cause a high current when switching the power supply on.
In application notes a (small) capacitor at the output is only recommended to avoid oscillation of the regulator.

The idea is to have additional filtering. Yes the data sheets generally state a much smaller value but it is not unusual to stick a 1000uF on the output. As long as the regulator is protected by a shunt diode to provide a discharge path it is fine.

It is not only filtering, it is good for a fast high current demand.
Not all modules have adequate PSU capacitance for fast transients.
On a practical side, the 100 / 1 / 10 values are very common ...

Finished my psu and racks a few weeks ago,  but just finally got around to re-doing all the connectors on my patchbay to accommodate 22 XLR I/O.  Thought I'd post some pics.  Excellent stuff from C.A.P.I. as always.

51x_002.jpg
51x_003.jpg
51x_004.jpg
51x_005.jpg
51x_001.jpg

jsteiger said:
'Chung, the info is there you just need to sift thru maybe too much boring text from me... :eek:

From the store:
Once completed, this Floor Box PSU Bundle can supply DC to eleven 500 series modules running on +/-16V at full VPR spec (130mA per module, per rail) and eleven 51x series modules running on +/-24V at full 51x spec (130mA per module, per rail).

This is essentially the same PSU that you have built using Volker's PCB only reformatted.

So it will only run 11 modules of one type and also 11 modules of the other type?  But it will NOT run 22 modules that use both sets of rails, correct?  What needs to be changed for it to power 22 modules using both sets of rails simultaneously?

mulletchuck said:
...What needs to be changed for it to power 22 modules using both sets of rails simultaneously?
In short, everything would need to change. This PSU has the same specs as Volker's original design.

Latest posts

Back