[BUILD] CAPI VP2X~500 Series~Preamp Kit~Official Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I built a pair of Rev A VP26's wayyy back, like at the start of this thread. Later bought and built a bunch of other preamps, and these kinda sat for a while. I used to use these on mono guitars, like one on one amp, the other on 2nd guitar player, or with a JDI for bass.

Recently, I put them on snare drum, and noticed there is a phase or polarity issue. Was driving me nuts, as I was checking cables, moving mics ad nauseam etc trying to get stuff in phase.

I did some googling and found two pdf files labeled option 1 phase fix, and option 2 phase fix.
What I need to know I guess, is where was the original issue? Was it that the primary or secondary of the input trafo was flipped, or the primary or secondary of the output transformer was flipped? Trying to see which is the better fix, and that looks like it maybe the one outlined in the "option 1" pdf.

I must have built these, continued on with my life and missed the bulletin that there was a mod to fix this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help,
John

Attachments

• option-1-phase-fix.pdf
    465.1 KB · Views: 0
  • option-2-phase-fix.pdf
    185.7 KB · Views: 0
Hello, I built a pair of Rev A VP26's wayyy back, like at the start of this thread. Later bought and built a bunch of other preamps, and these kinda sat for a while. I used to use these on mono guitars, like one on one amp, the other on 2nd guitar player, or with a JDI for bass.

Recently, I put them on snare drum, and noticed there is a phase or polarity issue. Was driving me nuts, as I was checking cables, moving mics ad nauseam etc trying to get stuff in phase.

I did some googling and found two pdf files labeled option 1 phase fix, and option 2 phase fix.
What I need to know I guess, is where was the original issue? Was it that the primary or secondary of the input trafo was flipped, or the primary or secondary of the output transformer was flipped? Trying to see which is the better fix, and that looks like it maybe the one outlined in the "option 1" pdf.

I must have built these, continued on with my life and missed the bulletin that there was a mod to fix this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help,
John
Wow that was a VERY long time ago. About 15 years or so. Option #1 is the best as that is where the mistake was made.

Thanks Jeff. Yep. I bought a 3124 soon after that, and these didn't get used as much. Please disregard email I sent you, and thanks for the reply. Will do the jumpers on the input.
Appreciate it!

PS, all a blur now. Everything was a very long time ago!

Hey everybody. I have built 9 VP26's, and one of them has a little bit of a tremolo oscillating noise in the background. Also, the pad switch makes a loud crackle, louder than the other VP26's I built. So maybe the problem is in that area? I have checked and reflowed all solder joints and also tried a different opamp. I've added a WAV, you might have to turn it up a bit to hear it. Any ideas what it could be?

Attachments

• capi noise hanz.wav
    2.3 MB
Completed my first CAPI kit. Went together relatively smoothly except for one detour I took due to my own carelessness. Anyway when completing the "preflight" check between any of the DOA sockets and the Output socket my meter is showing an open circuit. I have continuity at the socket off several of the rails so I don't think the socket is in play. I've searched over the board several times and I'm scratching my head. Any tips to narrowing this down would be appreaciated.

This was my experience as well. But when I inserted the DOA and inserted it into my rack, it worked perfectly. If you haven't already traced the audio as described on the first few pages of this thread, you might want to do that first. That gave me confidence that it was all going to work once the circuit wass completed by inserting the DOA and providing power.

Here are my measurements from the preflight stage which Jeff told me looked fine. He said we are mainly looking for direct shorts at the preflight stage.

Preflight stage: Most read 0.L MΩ. but -V and +V = 4.3 MΩ. C and O = 2.79 MΩ

Good luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back