[BUILD] fripholm's TG1 Zener Limiter boards - support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

fripholm

The bigger size may also become problematic when dealing with EM interference and/or noise as it is harder to shield when needed.

SmokeyJoe

Evening folks. I'm using VTB9046M input transformers for my build. Earlier in the thread there was some discussion as to whether pin 6 (earth) should be connected to signal ground or chassis ground, but no definitive answer.

Has anyone else who used these transformers reached a conclusion about which works better?

JMan

I believe that I was the one who asked about that. If I recall correctly, the answer was “try the options and see what works best.” I connected mine where all of the signal grounds converge at the PSU 0v, and it worked fine so I never tried any other option. But I think the advice that both are 0v/Ground so you can try both and see if you prefer one result over the other is good.

Ilya

I always connect internal shields (which are most often just electrostatic windings) to clean ground as you don’t want to capacitively couple noise from dirty ground to the transformer windings, and an outer shield (transformer enclosure) to chassis so any hum and noise captured by the external screen are dumped to the dirty ground.

SmokeyJoe

Ok, thanks for the tips. I'll be prepared to try both but it does sound like internal transformer ground to the signal ground, and the shield to chassis ground makes the most sense.