[BUILD] - GDIY51X Mod - TASCAM, Compare routing, Cascade Routing, Metering

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce0

BUILD INSTRUCTIONS
Build Instructions, many different configurations and each requires a different cable length:
Full TASCAM instruction Medium Resolution 13MB.pdf

BACK PANEL CUTTING TEMPLATE
Review the instructions and choose your configuration before cutting back panel. Here is the Back panel cutting template:
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=47653.0;attach=24380

BOM - Bill of Materials - Varies based on configuration

FOR A SINGLE TASCAM CARD
Quantity 2 of one of the following:
FCI - D25S24A6GX00LF - TESTED
FCI - D25S24A4GX00LF (economy)
FCI - D25S24A6RX09LF TESTED (Preferred - sealed so jack screw holes don't fill with solder)
KYCON - K85X-BD-25S-BR or BRJ should work too (KYCON makes nice connectors)
FCI - 10090098-S254VLF (ultra-economy - includes 4/40 jack screws)

Quantity 2:
50 pin headers (2x25 pin) 0.1” pin spacing pin headers.
No suggested part number - these are very common and often cheaper at the local electronics shop.
Mouser sells 3M version.

Quantity 2
50 pin (2x25 pin) IDC (insulation displacement connectors) connectors. Many
alternatives. No room for strain relief. Part below works:
3M Part D89150-0131HK = Mouser: 517-D89150-0131HK

FOR THE BACKPLANE (Regardless of how many TASCAM CARDS)
Quantity 2:

50 pin headers (2x25 pin) 0.1” pin spacing pin headers. Note that the backplane of the GDIY511x is approx 3.2mm thick. Longer solder tails are better here to get through the backplane (3.2mm).  I used normal ones but you need a fine point iron to heat them.
(No suggested part number - these are very common and often cheaper in 10 packs at the local electronics shop).
Quantity 2
50 pin (2x25 pin) IDC (insulation displacement connectors) connectors. Many
alternatives. If you wish you do have room for strain relief on the backplane.  This part below works but if you want a strain relief it is ordered separately.
3M Part D89150-0131HK = Mouser: 517-D89150-0131HK

Quantity 1

50 conductor Ribbon Cable 14" to 32" required depending upon configuration.

PCB's
There is a Group Buy at http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=47653.msg600084#msg600084.  There are extra cards from folks that expressed interest but change their mind.  I won't be doing a second run.

Holding here for when I get mine in the mail. Will update with pictures, etc.

I am waiting until I get the boards in hand, but here is a preliminary BOM on Mouser I have created:

http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=fdd4f6dca4

NOTE: This BOM is still a work in progress. It also uses the 4-40 standard screws. If using M3, it will need to be changed.

I hope that helps some people out.
--
Chris

Chris:

Great work, thanks.

Bruce

Hints:

Check your TASCAM cables to see what screw's they have (4/40 vs M3).  Most new cables come with both 4/40 and M3  (and sometimes M2.5 I think) screws but probably best to keep all your TASCAM the same (but it is good to check your cables, because people usually throw away the alternate thumbscrews... so you might be stuck with the thumbscrews on the cables.  I had to replace some when I bought a bunch of used TASCAM breakout snakes). 

Parts on the BOM are 4/40 thread.

The choice is made in the Jack Socket Kit AND the D-SUB connector

Latest posts

Back