[Build] Neve 2254 BUILD THREAD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 10827

Hi All,

I am looking for any info or circuit diagrams for the NEVE B191 / B192 / B185 / B283 circuit diagrams for use in the 2254.

i have searched and now have the 2254 hook up diagram of the four boards but not the circuit diagrams for the separate B*** boards.

if any one can help that would be super!
Pete

Hi Sinister!!!
I've some schem about 191/192/283...
Send me your email via pm.
Cheers!
Edit...After a short search , I also have 185 schem!

Email sent!
Hope you'll find what you need in those schem!! :green:
Please let me know if you receive them Pete!

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=28865&start=15

My post has a pretty good link... but check it to the hard to read version.

You doing a TAT Case with Tat provided PCB? that link is the spot.

I've got the above parts myself and finally found the correct orientated switches to match the front panel layout. Not a simple fix for what could have been simple by silkscreening the legend in a different order.

Maybe there should be a Official 2254 help/info thread?

copied link to this page to help in the future.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~theostr/str-electronics/DIY/Studio_2254.htm

Hi Kazper,

yes i think i have those PCB's but i got them from a friend here in the UK,

I dont have a case or any thing yet, ohh apart from the meters, but just about to start collecting parts, so any help or pointers there would be greatly appreciated.

best
Pete

Glad that the boards were from the same design, that will help you allot.

http://www.danalexanderaudio.com/neveinfo/neve2254aSchem.jpg

http://www.danalexanderaudio.com/neveinfo/neve2254eSchem.jpg

Your stuff is probably found at Dale's site

http://www.10000cows.com/Neve2254Stuff.htm

There is 2 switch drawings posted there.

SW2 is the Limit level Switch(SW9) your asking about (22.2K total), take in consideration that the R29 and R30 are shown in that drawing. A pot replacement of that switch is only 4.7-5K

SW1 is the Comp Threshold Switch (SW3), Could be a 1K Pot.

Geoff T said most of the time the Switch was removed and a Pot was replaced.

superb! thank you very much.

well im starting the painfull task of making a component list as we speak, im going with the component values on the circiuit diagrams as the screen print on the pcbs seem to have different values which is a little odd.

also there seems to be two verions of the 2254? one with the BA283, 192, 191 and 185 which is what i am doing..

and another with a BA340 output amp? whcih also has input & output attenuators..

so what dod people do about the interstage 10467 transformer? i cant find any info on that one, only on a 10468...

thanks again,

best
Pete

and another with a BA340 output amp? whcih also has input & output attenuators

That's basically the 33609

http://www.auroraaudio.net/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

This is the guy who designed the 2254. I think he may have had a little hand in the 33609 which I believe is a updated version of the 2254 into a 2RU space with some modifications. I also think the 33609 had a couple different output amp types.

3 transformers over the 2254's 4 pieces, Amp configurations etc..

Go to AMS neve and pull the 33609 manual, there is a great deal of similarities.

There is more 33609 information here, and a good description of the 2254 circuit on the web site I posted here from the man who designed it.

There is also a calibration procedure for the 2254 floating around somewhere. I believe it came from that site also.

thanks kazper! this is really turning in to a 2254 help thread! cool.

another thing that im not sure on is the PSU, i have seen references to 20v, would you know if + & - 20v would be correct?

Hi there!!
May I ask a noob question here??I plan to "build" an IJResearch's 33609.I would like to know what are the main differences with 2254???(I mean :ClassA?Sound?etc , etc ...)
Many thx.

[quote author="sinestaraudio"]thanks kazper! this is really turning in to a 2254 help thread! cool.

another thing that im not sure on is the PSU, i have seen references to 20v, would you know if + & - 20v would be correct?[/quote]

Please rename the thread to the "offical 2254 support thread". I'm no expert. I just got a set of PCB's, case off another member and was searchings for info on my own project. There is a lack of information for the 2254 in one place. It could almost become meta worth if we had the pictures and stuff hosted.

Igor probably knows the most about a 2254, he has built/ worked on a few I believe.

The power is typical of the mfg +24V and 0V DC... it's in the schematics. Make sure to make the main 24V resistors are at least 1/2W. You can also follow the 33609 original manual recommendation for Resistor values because there so close in design. I took a look at it this morning over breakfast and lots of information so read carefully.

IJR 33609 is probably a easier build, boards are solid and Igor is always helpful on the thread. I got that burning a hole on my bench also. Plus there is no PCB's around for this project that I'm aware of at the moment. You could home etch all of them though.

I picked this kit up from another Lab member when I wasn't sure if I would do the 33609 or not. I'll probably do both in the next year or so. It's the Iron thats killing me to get them done. I have some of it slotted for another project but I'm thinking of slotting it over and completing these projects first.

I've also contemplated using Cinimag transformers for the 2254 build.

Also note that there is a 1RU version of this coming from the mfg as a reissue. This project also could be easy done on one PCB with some decent PCB mounted switches and pots. I'm sure that some of the better PCB designers around here could accomplish this pretty easy and make this complex monster a simpler project.

Hi Kazper,

yes me too, I got given the PCB's, but this is what I have just worked out about them, the PCB's I have, not all of them are the correct schematic, it looks like the B191, B192 & 185 have had their circuits changed, possibly for copy right maybe? I then did a search and found that Geoff Tanner also mentioned this in a thread..

there is no point in making some thing similar is there?? who knows it might not even work!

I'd like to make it as close to the original as possible so I think new pcb's are in order, I'm considering getting my pcb designing skills back out of the bag for this one,

what are your thoughts?

Best
Pete

Hi Pete,

I spent about 2 weeks searching for every possible bit of info out there on the 2254, 2264, 33609, Igor's monster 2254/33609 and the various other Neve compressors and knockoffs. I was trying to really understand what's the same in all of these and what differentiates them.

There is great info here, on Gearslutz (!), PSW and of course on the Aurora forum as well as other random spots. Take the time to really understand what's happening before you make a move on a pcb.

The 33609 is that much easier to build because it's one transformer less and is more or less on a single PCB. Igor's kit for this with Purusha's case is really nice and you can get all of the original iron reasonably easily bar the 10468s (Carnhills will be close enough I think!). I have the kit, iron and switches and zero spare time but I'll get there someday.

For whatever reason I find this range of compressors fascinating even though I've never had the pleasure of using one so I understand your enthusiasm. I may even have something to offer on the 2254 front in the future...will keep you in the loop if I do.

Best of luck,
Ruairi

Hi Ruairi,

obsession is a great thing...well my wife does not think so but I do..
;)

yes I think it would be a great project to do but its that blasted interstage tx...
mmmmm...what to do....

great talking to you,

Pete

That's the first time I've ever noticed the 10467 designation on that scan. I just checked another schemo I had for the 2254a and it has a 10468. Also if you look at the BA185 schemo on from Dale's (amazing) photos you'll see a 10468 hanging off of the end of the board.

My understanding here is that the 31267 acting 2:1 and dropping the level along with the pad. This lower level is used to feed the diode bridge and then it is stepped up again (partially) by the 10468 wired 1:2. If you download the 33609 manual from the Neve site you'll get a great run through of this front end in the circuit description.

Cheers,
Ruairi

http://www.aesproaudio.com/?page=vintage&id=9
Some more goodies for you...

BA191
Vintage-Neve-Cards_10.jpg

BA192
Vintage-Neve-Cards_3.jpg

BA185
Vintage-Neve-Cards_2.jpg

BA283 (AM Version so 1/2 Filled)
Vintage-Neve-Cards_15.jpg