[BUILD] New FET/RACK Official Help Thread - Please read first post!

Help Support GroupDIY:

Deadly Mix

Audio-engineer
Any idea where to start troubleshooting? Anyone?
I'm about to start it's pair tomorrow and I'd feel a lot better if I get the first one in order before I start the next.

Deadly Mix

Audio-engineer
The power supply passed its test when I tested before the rest of the build. Knowing what measurements I should be getting at other test sites could be helpful though. I'll check that out.

JMan

The power supply passed its test when I tested before the rest of the build. Knowing what measurements I should be getting at other test sites could be helpful though. I'll check that out.
I’m assuming you’ve already seen this page, but just in case you haven’t, it is very helpful.

Deadly Mix

Audio-engineer
NO, somehow I think I must have glossed over it. Looks familiar but I haven't read it so maybe I saw it before it was relevant to me. I'll definitely be checking that out. Thanks.

Deadly Mix

Audio-engineer
I’m assuming you’ve already seen this page, but just in case you haven’t, it is very helpful.
Interesting, the first thing it says is that, if your voltage is too low you probably have a problem with a transistor. The one thing I was worried about is the 2N3053 transistor. I seem to have burned the contact off while removing the one I messed up on (forgot the spacer) and wasn't sure it was going to work until I get it to my tech to repair the contact on the PCB.

Deadly Mix

Audio-engineer
When I test the PSU, first step - Set the ground in the screw-hole of the case then touch the red probe to the base where the green grounding wire is attached. It says I should have a reading of less then 1ohm. I have 2.4ohm

The new one I started building, thinking I'll just do better this time and somewhere along the line I'll learn whats wrong with the first, has a reading of 2.1

Is this a resistor that isn't soldered well enough? A cap? What is going on?

JMan

I wouldn't mess around too much until you figure that part out. What you're measuring there is the resistance on the path of your safety ground from the AC inlet, so you definitely want to make sure that's all squared away before you move on. Try probing around the area just a bit and see if that changes anything on your meter -- sometimes the connection is fine but maybe the probe is touching a bit of solder that increases the impedance reading slightly, or your black probe isn't actually in good contact with the chassis, something like that. At any rate, you do want to make sure that this path has as little resistance as possible since it is a very important one.

Deadly Mix

Audio-engineer
I wouldn't mess around too much until you figure that part out. What you're measuring there is the resistance on the path of your safety ground from the AC inlet, so you definitely want to make sure that's all squared away before you move on. Try probing around the area just a bit and see if that changes anything on your meter -- sometimes the connection is fine but maybe the probe is touching a bit of solder that increases the impedance reading slightly, or your black probe isn't actually in good contact with the chassis, something like that. At any rate, you do want to make sure that this path has as little resistance as possible since it is a very important one.
Thanks for the tip.
I suspect I've been having an issue with the solder doing what its told to do because of a shitty iron. More accurately, 2 shitty irons and a station that doesnt display the accurate temp.

thelongramble

Hello. I purchased a Rev F rack kit and appear to have been sent an incorrect part. I'm supposed to have a 7.68K resistor for R071 but didn't receive one. Instead, I appear to have gotten an extra 6.8K resistor. I've used my DMM and tested all of the resistors when doing my initial inventory, and then again to double-check.

Does anyone know if I can use the 6.8K instead at R071? I apologize if that's an ignorant question. I've put lots of kits together, but don't actually know much about the theory behind them. I reached out to Hairball, but have yet to hear back and I'd like to get this unit up and running for a big client project that starts in a few days. Thank you!