[BUILD] PROTO-500

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studio Mollan

This is the Build Thread for the PROTO-500, 500-series prototype board.
All questions about the build here please. Any emails on the same will be forwarded to this thread.

Not sure if this is in the right category. There is no category for prototype boards. =)

/
Emil
www.studiomollan.com

Just received mine to the UK, thanks Emil! Look forward to building but will be a while yet as a few more projects first. Will post developments here.

Any alternatives to the Transformer? Thinking Sowter as handy here in the UK but might be overkill on price

Love the dual layer Front Panel too, really classy

Attachments

• IMG_6717.jpeg
    IMG_6717.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6716.jpeg
    IMG_6716.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 29
Just received mine to the UK, thanks Emil! Look forward to building but will be a while yet as a few more projects first. Will post developments here.

Any alternatives to the Transformer? Thinking Sowter as handy here in the UK but might be overkill on price

Love the dual layer Front Panel too, really classy
I would say Sowter would be overkill.. The Edcor in the kit fit the budget and works just fine. It is designed to interface “lofi” gear so throwing in a 90€ transformer in there didn’t make sense. The transformer is there for galvanic isolation when reamping, to avoid ground loops, not necessarily for the “transformer sound”.
Feel free to experiment though. The edcor is 10k:10k. Any transformer with similar specs should work fine, but I might not be able to give very much support on that.

I would say Sowter would be overkill.. The Edcor in the kit fit the budget and works just fine. It is designed to interface “lofi” gear so throwing in a 90€ transformer in there didn’t make sense. The transformer is there for galvanic isolation when reamping, to avoid ground loops, not necessarily for the “transformer sound”.
Feel free to experiment though. The edcor is 10k:10k. Any transformer with similar specs should work fine, but I might not be able to give very much support on that.
Great OK, thanks for the advice. I'll buy the Edcor from Don Audio when I have a few more things to buy from there (just this post-Brexit stuff means extra charges to UK when shopping in Europe which is annoying)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back