Build Start - DIY Winding Machine

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoops

GDIY Supporter
Hello,
I had one old Marinair LO2567 transformer with one of the primaries and one of the secondaries shot.

I didn't know much about transformer build and rewind, I always saw it as a secret kind of art,
after speaking with CJ and Spencerleehorton, they were supportive with the idea that it wouldn't be that difficult to rewind this transformer.

I watched this really simple and nice videos and got confident enough to dismantle my LO2567 transformer (will do a thread for that project) and know I have a Rewind on my hands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6NyTprQCBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyZ7nM6Fo94

Dismantling the LO2567 and rewinding it will serve to me as a learning experience, to learn more about transformers, and probably to do some hobby custom rewinds of transformers and inductors.

At the moment I need to build a Coild Windind machine.
I would like something simple, with a motor and turns count.

Something that will work for Audio transformers, inductors and small power transformers.

Thank you so much CJ and Spencer for all your help and valuable info.

I will build the structure in wood or MDF, as I have some spares lying around and their easy enough to work.

As for the motor,
CJ advised me a DC motor, I still couldn't get a nice DC motor locally,
I'm thinking in using a motor of an Ikea Screwdriver, they are cheap enough and look solid.
There's two models, a smaller one and a bigger one, here they are:

smaller 3.6V
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90203258/

Nikfixa1.jpg

Bigger 7.2V
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30203261/

ikeaworks1.jpg

Meanwhile I had an old and battered Moulinmex Coffee Grinder that was left unused in the basement,
I opened it up and took out it's working  AC Motor .
here it is:

Attachments

• AC Motor - Moulinex Coffee Grinder.JPG
    AC Motor - Moulinex Coffee Grinder.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 47
For now I need some help in:

1) How could I add an AC voltage control to the AC motor so I could Control it's speed?

2) What options do I have for Turn counters? What do you advise?

Whoops said:
1) How could I add an AC voltage control to the AC motor so I could Control it's speed?
Zooming in on the jpeg, I see a commutator.

That is a universal motor, it will work on either AC or DC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_motor

These motors have fairly stable speed regulation vs load, but it is not great, and will be all over the place at really low RPM for a winder, hard to control. Some sort of gear/pulley reduction will surely be needed for this motor to be useful at coil winder speeds.

To answer your question, you can  use a triac type control right off mains AC for speed control, like the variable speed trigger in every plug-into-the-wall electric drill.  Or run it off a variable voltage DC supply. To reverse direction, reversing +/- won't do it, you need to reverse the polarity of the field vs the armature brushes, by adding a switch. 

Or for that matter, just use an AC powered variable speed electric drill for your winder. It already has a handy chuck, gear reduction, and speed control, ready to figure out how to mount. They are cheap enough.

Gene

I used this for many years - Telephone-type down-counter with switch at zero,  Cordless-screwdriver-motor with knob attached for holding bobbin and asymmetric-knob+microswitch for counting revolutions. LM317 variable voltage to motor.

Still using this setup for prototypes...

Jakob E.

Attachments

• winder.JPG
    winder.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 108
Gene Pink said:
Or for that matter, just use an AC powered variable speed electric drill for your winder. It already has a handy chuck, gear reduction, and speed control, ready to figure out how to mount. They are cheap enough.

Thank you for the explanations.
Yes I will ditch the coffee grinder motor for this application, thanks.

From the electric drills I picture above do you think any will do or the more expensive will be better for this application?

gyraf said:
I used this for many years - Telephone-type down-counter with switch at zero,  Cordless-screwdriver-motor with knob attached for holding bobbin and asymmetric-knob+microswitch for counting revolutions. LM317 variable voltage to motor.

Still using this setup for prototypes...

Jakob E.

Hello Jakob thank you so more for the photo.
How do you connect the telephone type counter? How does the counting mechanism works?

Do you think you could take more pictures?

thanks

The counter is the type that you can preset to a figure, ant it will decrease one count every time it gets a 12V pulse. When it gets to zreo, it'll open(close) a switch, which stops the motor driver. It gets pulses from a microswitch mounted by the motor shaft, driven by an assymetrical knob working like a cam.

I imagine (but haven't tried!!) some of this type of counter could work:
www.aliexpress.com/item/JDM9-4-preset-counter-with-memory-function/32602428962.html
www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-24v-digital-preset-counter-relay-1-999900-LED-display-11-pin-panel-installed-DH48J-A/32347402480.html ..but check for yourself that it is the right type!!

The right way to do this at this modern day would be to program an Arduino and let that be in control..

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
The right way to do this at this modern day would be to program an Arduino and let that be in control..

Jakob E.

I have no idea on how to program Arduino or How it works. That would be great.
For for now I will just keep it simple, or it least on difference steps.
For now a simple motor  with a structure and some precise turns counter would do the party
(notice no traverse and now end/stop count, those have to be done manually)

If I can build this,
then I will think about a traverse and Ardunino.

Thank you Jakob

Hello,
I had one old Marinair LO2567 transformer with one of the primaries and one of the secondaries shot.

I didn't know much about transformer build and rewind, I always saw it as a secret kind of art,
after speaking with CJ and Spencerleehorton, they were supportive with the idea that it wouldn't be that difficult to rewind this transformer.

I watched this really simple and nice videos and got confident enough to dismantle my LO2567 transformer (will do a thread for that project) and know I have a Rewind on my hands:

Dismantling the LO2567 and rewinding it will serve to me as a learning experience, to learn more about transformers, and probably to do some hobby custom rewinds of transformers and inductors.

At the moment I need to build a Coild Windind machine.
I would like something simple, with a motor and turns count.

Something that will work for Audio transformers, inductors and small power transformers.

Thank you so much CJ and Spencer for all your help and valuable info.

Good morning,
I'm sorry to bother you.
Can you tell me the inductance and impedance of the primary and secondary of the LO2567?
1/2
3/4
5/6
7/8
Greetings from Brazil
I am looking to try to manufacture a clone of it.
Thanks.

How do you connect the telephone type counter? How does the counting mechanism works?
You shouldn't worry too much about automatic stop. A few turns more won't make much difference for a 5 000 turn coil.
For less turns, it's easy to unwind manually.
Anyway don't expect that by precisely counting turns, the inductance will be accurate. Tension, layering and core material all inftroduce tolerances.
I have found out that if you want some kind of precision better than 2%, you need to wind more turns and measure, cut and measure, cut and measure until you're satisfied you're close enough to your target.
You will have to layer manually, so you have to be there and so you can watch the counter and stop manually.
Remember that ferrite cores can be adjusted by rubbing the halves together and iron cores by pressing or sliding lams.

Niffty coil winder. Sewing machine motor with variable speed control, halting the winding -simple. Add spindle and gear wheels (ribbed) from hobby shop, Difficult part is obtain a rotary counter, mine from and old AVO winding machine however just add an electronic rev counter on free end of spindle. Wire self feeds off the reel placed on the board to a high fixed placed pully and down to hand feed. Complete by adding a standard drill chuck and make/have someone turns on a metal lathe up some mandrels to mount the bobbins and clamp, obviously slightly more difficult for the Marinair . Just hints cannot enter into discussions, sorry. CJ

.Coil winder.jpg

Attachments

• Coil winder.jpg
    Coil winder.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 50
Niffty coil winder. Sewing machine motor with variable speed control, halting the winding -simple. Add spindle and gear wheels (ribbed) from hobby shop, Difficult part is obtain a rotary counter, mine from and old AVO winding machine however just add an electronic rev counter on free end of spindle. Wire self feeds off the reel placed on the board to a high fixed placed pully and down to hand feed. Complete by adding a standard drill chuck and make/have someone turns on a metal lathe up some mandrels to mount the bobbins and clamp, obviously slightly more difficult for the Marinair . Just hints cannot enter into discussions, sorry. CJ

.View attachment 80819

Nice one, thanks for sharing.

Next time you use it, please do a video and show us

Latest posts

Back