Building a M49 with a turret board inside a Tbone sct 700 Body with 6S6B-V Triode

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Tango Charly

GDIY Supporter
I have a beautiful Tbone PSU
I would like to make a cardiode version of the M49 microphone from Olivier Archut with a 6S6B-V triode on Tbone sct 700 Body
I need help to build my turret board. I really don't know how to organize my turret board from schematic. i know there is a way of putting the ground in the middle, and than spread the component around it like a star. i have few 6S6B-V Triode. Can someone help to make a drawing of the map of this turret bord i need help to build this project. i think it could be great to build M49 with those 6S6B-V triodes. Peace! Papa Tango Charly

That's my turret board first experimentation.... it works well

IMG_5802 2.JPG

Attachments

• M49-alternative-Alina-Updated-3-pdf.jpg
    M49-alternative-Alina-Updated-3-pdf.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 8
Looks like your on the right track with the punched rivets , I dont really see the need for the tags apart from for the larger components . Maybe PTFE can be put to good use in the high-z parts of the circuit like the tube, grid/capsule bias component mounts , ive been working on this idea ,but life keeps throwing me curved balls .

View attachment 100083

I used closed cell foam to mount my tube.

FYI, @Papa Tango Charlie, I actually went back to a 5840 after 6S6B. 6S6B has a beautiful midrange but I preferred the high end of the 5840. Hard to decide between the two, they both sound great. Try them both.
You should try 5718. Really nice in an m49 circuit…same cathode/anode resistor values as AC701.
Also I see you use an mkt as an output cap. This cap emphasises a little the mids and highs are more laidback. A nice MP cap will make your mic sound more “alive”

You should try 5718. Really nice in an m49 circuit…same cathode/anode resistor values as AC701.
Also I see you use an mkt as an output cap. This cap emphasises a little the mids and highs are more laidback. A nice MP cap will make your mic sound more “alive”
I bought an MP output cap but I couldn't fit it with the layout I have.

Heres one of mine with anti vibration mounting ,
The tube itself is in a grommet which is held down to the veroboard with the copper wire ,
The grid of the tube goes around to the other side of the board , Ive used insulated stranded wire with kevlar to connect the tube to the XLR pins , The whole tube sub assembly floats inside the housing , Its fairly effective in terms of acoustically isolating the tube ,but vero isnt the best insulator . A small slab of PTFE drilled and riveted as required might be better .
1667242663623.jpeg

The mic I showed above is cathode follower based so any chance of vibration being picked up by the tube itself is already greatly reduced because of feedback . Sub mini tubes are almost immune to any kind of vibration in any case .
Anode follower mics tend not to fare as well with high SPL sound sources but any colouration due to microphonics on transients happens so fast its not really heard as distortion by the ear .

The tube itself is in a grommet which is held down to the veroboard with the copper wire ,
The grid of the tube goes around to the other side of the board , Ive used insulated stranded wire with kevlar to connect the tube to the XLR pins , The whole tube sub assembly floats inside the housing , Its fairly effective in terms of acoustically isolating the tube ,but vero isnt the best insulator . A small slab of PTFE drilled and riveted as required might be better .
View attachment 100131
This is exactly method i used with 6418 Raytheon which is extremely microphonic, but great for testing this stuff. However I can guarantee that a lot vibrations will be transferred through the tube leads, So i shortened them to about 3mm, and connected to the pcb via thin enameled copper wire. That tube's heater though doesn't need much current.

I would like to try to build the M49 wit a 6S6B-V Does anybody have a schematic
View attachment 100131
Is it a M49 circuit ? Could you show me how you have put the circuit toghether inside the microphone. I would like to learn how to build this circuit. Thank you

I have a beautiful Tbone PSU
I would like to make a cardiode version of the M49 microphone from Olivier Archut with a 6S6B-V triode on Tbone sct 700 Body
I need help to build my turret board. I really don't know how to organize my turret board from schematic. i know there is a way of putting the ground in the middle, and than spread the component around it like a star. i have few 6S6B-V Triode. Can someone help to make a drawing of the map of this turret bord i need help to build this project. i think it could be great to build M49 with those 6S6B-V triodes. Peace! Papa Tango Charly

That's my turret board first experimentation.... it works well

View attachment 100052
Could I ask where you got the solder lugs from? I haven’t found anything like those in my search of the net.
Thanks!

The trick I use to connect up without transfering vibrations is headphone cable , it contains a very fine insulated copper wound with kevlar
I 've also used speaker 'pig tail ' or braided copper for heaters .fine silicone insulated wire might work well and even afford extra damping if used correctly .

As you can see I used elasticated string to provide the iso-mount to frame , not exactly a long term fix , does the trick though ,

I guess a meaningfull test for micprophonics in a tube mic circuit might involve the electronics minus capsule ,being placed at the edge of a well tuned snare drum, its probably the loudest sound your likely to encounter in a musical environment .

Ruud,
If I wanted to record the sound of motorcycles charging off into the distance I'd probably just use a 58 with an old sock over it
no sense in depositing soot and tire smoke all over a good capsule .

Last edited:
I was'nt 100% sure about what voltage the insulation on the headphone cable would stand up to , so I painted it with clear nail polish and posted it down clear tubing to the xlr socket , HT and heaters side by side , no problem ,

The handy thing here is you can often pick up a set of in ear phones from roadkill , anyone is likely to have some lying around .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back