Buying a microscope for my kids - need input

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruairioflaherty

Hi all,

My daughters, aged 3 and 6 get pretty involved in my DIY.  We've built an Arduino based robot together, LED lights from scratch including soldering, heat shrinking etc, and do lots of repairs together.

Grandparents are asking for gift ideas for Christmas and I am thinking that a microscope kit would be great for the older girl.  I had one as a kid and found it fascinating. I'm leaning towards the Amscope brand because they are very well reviewed in electronics circles for their mid priced microscopes.

http://www.amscope.com/student-microscopes/kids-microscopes.html

A few questions for those with more experience

- I know stereo is better for real use but is it an advantage for a kid who will likely be using for short periods of time?

- I'm torn between getting something with low mag for looking at bugs/leaves  etc or something that can do hi mag for looking at bacteria/cells/small critters

There is one model of Amscope with lighting above and below sample that can do 40x or 1000x - probably too little options to be useful?

The goal is just to inspire and excite but I'd rather get something decent than a $20 toy - any advice?

Cheers,
Ruairi

IMO: stereo is worth it for the "Wow!" factor, USB lets them save and share their sightings.

However I do not see both stereo and USB in an inexpensive 'scope. Of course there are few viewing options for saved images which present in stereo (when ARE those $5 VR googles coming??). And USB may not be convenient down by the creek. I could almost see a $40 stereo 20X-40X optical *and* a $30 USB for class reports or FaceBuk.

Sounds like a good plan Ruairi,
Females tend to be underepresented in the scientific workforce.

We had one of the basic ones here at home as kids too ,hours of fun
Maybe one with a camera might be a good way to go ,that way its a more inclusive experience for all involved,and no fighting over who gets to look through the lens,
You could do short field trips to get the samples ,then back to the big screen for monsters of the deep or gigantic flying bugs and creepy crawlies.
They often come bundled with premade slides,but real live beasties much more fun ,and would likely keep their attention longer,using glass slides in any case would require constant supervision.
Something  like the clear plastic case that guitar pickups come in would make a perfect mini aquarium ,or a Cd Jewel case for things that tend to run away. You could do it on a catch and release basis too and instill  a respect for even the the most humble critters, reminds me of that song 'A place in the choir'.

PRR said:
IMO: stereo is worth it for the "Wow!" factor, USB lets them save and share their sightings.

However I do not see both stereo and USB in an inexpensive 'scope. Of course there are few viewing options for saved images which present in stereo (when ARE those $5 VR googles coming??). And USB may not be convenient down by the creek. I could almost see a $40 stereo 20X-40X optical *and* a $30 USB for class reports or FaceBuk.

Thanks PRR, that's exactly kind of input I was looking for.  They have enough screens in their lives for now so I'll probably start with a stereo and take it from there.

I'm still on the fence about 20x or 40x level for spider legs and whatnot or going for something with 600x plus for microbe level viewing.

Tubetec said:
Sounds like a good plan Ruairi,
Females tend to be underepresented in the scientific workforce.

We had one of the basic ones here at home as kids too ,hours of fun
Maybe one with a camera might be a good way to go ,that way its a more inclusive experience for all involved,and no fighting over who gets to look through the lens,
You could do short field trips to get the samples ,then back to the big screen for monsters of the deep or gigantic flying bugs and creepy crawlies.
They often come bundled with premade slides,but real live beasties much more fun ,and would likely keep their attention longer,using glass slides in any case would require constant supervision.
Something  like the clear plastic case that guitar pickups come in would make a perfect mini aquarium ,or a Cd Jewel case for things that tend to run away. You could do it on a catch and release basis too and instill  a respect for even the the most humble critters, reminds me of that song 'A place in the choir'.

Yes, will probably get some pre made slides for fun but as you say the real kick will be going to the park or the pond and finding things to explore.  My Luxo magnifier is one of their favorite things to use in the lab, even on things that are perfectly big and visible!

As kids my sister and I got one of the cheap toys one and it was good enough for our purposes,  looking at onion cells and that kind of stuff.  More mag options is great for them as they have more stuff to use them on, quality is probably not an issue as they won't care about some distortion in the image.

If you are looking for something useful to yourself in DIY electronics applications you do want a low mag, stereo one as you have depth perception, even if you are not using it for long periods of time that's useful. 40x is on the high side for this. I remember using stereo in school and was great, but they usually don't have a lot of mag options. Low mag stereo is probably great to look at bugs so you do get the 3D experience.

JS

I bought a USB scope years ago and suspect the new models are even better... scope connected to computer is cool, but do kids still use computers? 

Now it would have to be a wifi scope.  8)

JR 

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm going to go stereo and low magnification x10 to maybe x40. 

Both kids can whizz around an iPad but aren't using a computer yet, the older girl is just learning to read now.  If I can get an onboard camera cheaply I will, or as PRR says just get a separate USB unit later if the interest is there.

I've actually got a very trick Vision Engineering Mantis that I haven't yet had time to set up, so I'm covered for low magnification  for SMD work.

Hey

That's a good gift for your daughters !
As a kid, something between your daughters ages, my father give me one.
When you are kid this experience is fascinating, it was winter and I just go outside and watch the snowflake, what a structure, I still remember this 35 years after... I take so many time in the garden everything possible have to be seen this way :)

I don't know how those tools go now, but I suggest anologue/optical only... (I'm still attached to the first photon theory)
If you want hyper-macro-detail I'm sure you can find any cell picture on the net, if at the end it's in a screen... no interest

Best
Zam

Ruairi,
The magnification is in two stages, the main eyepiece and then the switchable lenses 10x to 40x.  It will be quite hard for such young children to focus on the images.  With the 40x you can make out powders with a diameter of a few microns.  Items with depth cannot be seen whole by high magnifications as you will have to keep refocusing  to see down the height of such objects, so lower mags are better.  Items for inspection need to be placed on glass slides, are you happy for kids of that age to be handling thin glass?  Fluids for attachment, scalpels etc?

National Geographic do some reasonable microscopes

Best
DaveP

> are you happy for kids of that age to be handling thin glass?

Never hurt myself with glass slides.

BUT this scar from a glass test-tube is never going away.

I have to believe that microscope makers know the long-term value of marketing to kids (parents), and with all the over-cautious parents today they must have devised clear plastic specimen holders.  Ah-ha:

Microscope Slides, Plastic, 3 x 1", Box of 144 ....unbreakable vinyl with the refractive index of glass. Suitable for wet mounts and temporary preparations. $14.10  https://www.carolina.com/catalog/detail.jsp?prodId=632850

Treated Plastic Microscope Slides ... versatile, low-cost microscope slides can be used wherever glass slides are used, including sample preparation in the field. They are safer than glass slides because they are more impact resistant than ordinary glass slides. Plastic slides do not leave any sharp edges when broken. ... general purpose "crystal" polystyrene ... UVT (UV Transmittable) acrylic. Their transparency and optical quality are identical to viewing through a flat-bottom microplate well.  https://www.tedpella.com/histo_html/260225.htm

Plastic Microscope Slides
    Quality slide making supplies
    Limit injuries in the lab
Safer than glass, these optically clear plastic slides will not break, scratch, or cut fingers.
Plastic Microscope Slides 1 x 3" 0.5 mm AM9330 470014-584 Pack of 144 $13.85
https://us.vwr.com/store/product/8884101/plastic-microscope-slides

Cover-slips on nearby pages.

I have a couple of Amscopes. I like them. They are well built and you can mix and match parts to get what you want.  I have a cutterhead stylus insertion scope design I've been meaning to get around to. Got the scope. Gave it to a machinist. Then dropped the ball.

I agree with Dave that you want a low magnification scope. Better to look at insects and things you can see with the naked eye. Records are fun to look at. Then you can hear the music.

Gold said:
I agree with Dave that you want a low magnification scope. Better to look at insects and things you can see with the naked eye. Records are fun to look at. Then you can hear the music.
I agree too, more interesting to look at real life things, but in better detail.

Keep in mind that you will often be borrowing it, for checking solder joints, etc. I remember in 7th grade biology, the rather young attractive woman teacher looking through a microscope in class, got positively giddy, and blurted out like a little girl, "Oooooo, a paramecium!"  It became her new nickname after that. Maybe ya had to be there. :)

For seeing tiny around here:
1) Unexpectedly good macro on a point-n-shoot digital camera.
2) Decent stereo microscope out in the garage for analyzing gak caught in various filters.
3) A video camera on a gooseneck meant for overhead projection into video projectors. And it focuses down to an inch from the target. Jpeg is 19" CRT monitor, the camera and the chips on foam to the right.

Sure comes in handy for looking up chips when the numbers are 1" high.

Gene

Attachments

• video mag.jpg
    video mag.jpg
    43.1 KB
Here is a USB scope photo of an attempt to old school prototype a tiny SMD chip (unsuccessfully).  Chip had heatsink pad on bottom so PCB was better.

JR

Attachments

• classD.jpg
    classD.jpg
    75.2 KB
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for the input, I appreciate it. 

I've picked a National Geographic stereo microscope that does 20x and 50x.  Thanks for the heads up on that Dave, it appears to be a branded Amscope but comes with a nice accessory kit for just $10 more than the equivalent Amscope. 

As for glass slides they wouldn't be handling unattended.  The older girl solders, uses my drill etc and both girls are great with hand tools so I'm all about learning to use things properly. The plastic slides also provide a good option.

I need to find time soon to set up my Mantis.

I bought this http://www.andonstar.com/e_products/HDMI-DIGITAL-MICROSCOPE-4.html and I´m very happy.  :D

I use it for inspection on smd stuff.  of course there are better but this was cheap and work great.

I used to study limnology in vocational school but we weren't required to buy a microscope. We did use them though in the lab on a few occasions (to look at insects and other micro-organisms and study their taxonomy... also fish age determination from scales and bones such as cleithrum and otolith)

Later I started looking for one because I like fly tying and stuff, some forums recommended a Bresser but I can't really justify buying one. There are USB and handheld versions available too...

EDIT : misspelled Bresser..

efinque said:
I used to study limnology in vocational school but we weren't required to buy a microscope. We did use them though in the lab on a few occasions (to look at insects and other micro-organisms and study their taxonomy... also fish age determination from scales and bones such as cleithrum and otolith)

Later I started looking for one because I like fly tying and stuff, some forums recommended a Bresser but I can't really justify buying one. There are USB and handheld versions available too...

EDIT : misspelled Bresser..
Hey efinque, your music and mixes are QUITE GOOD!!!!! I'm enjoying the heaven out of them. Bless you thank you!!!

Mike

Back