Buzzing Transformer in Allison Research Power Supply Need Replaced?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianJSiegel

I have an Allison Research RM-160 Rack that is buzzing from what seems to be the transformer in the power supply. Will that need to be replaced or do I have other options? Thanks for any help You guys can give me.

Allison research became valley people.  Valley people is currently owned by PMI audio

call PMI audio down in gardena which is in the south bay, they should be able to get you sorted.

Hi Brian,
First make sure all the nuts and bolts on the transformer/chassis are nice n snug ,
I've had good luck  on ocassion and found using a paint brush to drop small amounts varnish between bobbin and core helped solid things up nicely, you may have to partially dismantle the transformer to do this depending on construction , last option would be dip the entire transformer in varnish and allow to set before re-installing.

I can see a pic of the Rm-160 ,but it doesnt show the transformer . Post up a pic if you can

Maybe the transformer is loaded too much because of a dead part. Check rectifier diodes, transistors and load resistors. If there is a resistor in series, measure the voltage drop and compute current. If it's high, search downstream.

sometimes they buzz when unloaded.

this is because the core is saturating.

this is because the secondary is trying to produce enuff back EMF to cancel the pri flux.

yes, try tightening hardware, if no luck, re shim the coil as the coil may be vibrating on the core.

Back