BV08 transformer capacitance, comparable to mic cable capacitance?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe so (but it is mentioned like so on the datasheet).
I guess you want to say that the original is/was better then the copy.
That is fine as well as the value can then also only be better/lower ( if it is true that the original is better)
So it is a good starting point anyway as it is closest to the original i guess.

I had a broken transformer once in a Oktava mic and replaced it with a tiny mains transformer and could’t hear any difference at all (no dc flowing through the transformer).
I had a matched pair and it still sounds as matched ( no measurements done yet)
Maybe that says something about my hearing or that all the talk about transformers is just talk. Now i did not overdrive it so here the difference maybe noticed.
I don't know is it this copy worse or better but for sure is not the same. It's winded diferent than original and can't have the same "numbers" especially the capacitance is not the same.

I don't want to judge your hearing. Maybe Oktava also used the "tiny mains transformer". ;)

There is indeed no mention of any inductance or capacitance but you can see the impedances ( load and source) plus frequency response. So it can be calculated from here.

There is indeed no mention of any inductance or capacitance but you can see the impedances ( load and source) plus frequency response. So it can be calculated from here.
The only data that may help calculating the inductance is the conjunction of 10kohm reflected Z and -0.5dB at 20Hz, but it would give the LF inductance, which is noticeably higher than the midrange inductance.
The -0.5dB at 20kHz may help calculating the combined effects of parallel capacitance and leakage inductance. In the absence of other data, there is an infinity of solutions and nothing to distinguish them.

Additional info can be found here :
https://www.tab-funkenwerk.org/articles-tech-documents-2/bvo8-transformer/
Naturally you all know of this so nothing new here…

Here the inductance is mentioned, the cable diameter and the number of windings. So anyone could make one with the right tools (and proper lamination material). The last will be a pain to get. I have not yet looked if there is a supplier for this.

Attachments

• 9AE2CCC2-FE32-413D-9F2C-3477DE81B435.jpeg
    9AE2CCC2-FE32-413D-9F2C-3477DE81B435.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • 34456543-CFDA-4C5F-8E49-4199F68981E9.jpeg
    34456543-CFDA-4C5F-8E49-4199F68981E9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • D02BDF7D-9EEB-4B2F-82CC-E9E9795E6420.jpeg
    D02BDF7D-9EEB-4B2F-82CC-E9E9795E6420.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 3467C1D0-6C77-49AF-86A6-C5F8CFBE0955.jpeg
    3467C1D0-6C77-49AF-86A6-C5F8CFBE0955.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Just to play a devil's advocate for a second. I've seen some simple questions turn into needlessly long threads here. Is there anyone who can simply answer the question of what the capacitance of bv08 is?

Just to play a devil's advocate for a second. I've seen some simple questions turn into needlessly long threads here. Is there anyone who can simply answer the question of what the capacitance of bv08 is?
It can't be a straight forward answer because transformer is a passive component where inductance, capacitance and resistance plays the frequency response together. Also, not just one "capacitance" is present. I still try to understand the initial question. CJ answed it already, explained that there is more than one capacitance, but it seems that his answer is not what we are looking for. Also, I agree some answers are quite malicious but let's ignore them.
At the end I can measure the capacitance of the Bv.08's primary non terminated, out of the circuit, but is it the parameter author is looking for?

It can't be a straight forward answer because transformer is a passive component where inductance, capacitance and resistance plays the frequency response together. Also, not just one "capacitance" is present. I still try to understand the initial question. CJ answed it already, explained that there is more than one capacitance, but it seems that his answer is not what we are looking for. Also, I agree some answers are quite malicious but let's ignore them.
At the end I can measure the capacitance of the Bv.08's primary non terminated, out of the circuit, but is it the parameter author is looking for?
I get it 👍

ELS ,
I think its probably time your refueled your spaceship and blasted back down the blackhole you escaped from ,
Theres a lot of helpfull people here with thousands of posts , insulting them wont win you any friends ,
We've had a few like you before , your not worth a squirt of piss to a man dying of thirst .
Sling your hook shipmate ,

Back