C414 body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neowalla

Hey gang, I just stumbled across this C414 on Ali-babcia (Alibaba).
Does anyone know of a suitable PCB that fits this style of body outside the obvious pariah, Mic & Mod?

Good point. I suppose one could cut openings for switches but I've not seen the inside of one of these to see how the boards are mounted in the first place. For the price, I might order one just to play around.

This doesn't look anything like a real C414. I doubt if a PCB for a C414 will fit inside this microphone body.
I made the design for the Mic&Mod 414, but you probably don't want to know the size, because it is Mic&Mod...

This doesn't look anything like a real C414. I doubt if a PCB for a C414 will fit inside this microphone body.
I made the design for the Mic&Mod 414, but you probably don't want to know the size, because it is Mic&Mod...
I have never had any dealing with Mic & Mod but the very mention of that name brings such a firestorm here, I avoid them. Wherever they are getting their C414 bodies from, they seem pretty accurate looking aside from colour, of course. That is one body style you just don't see in the normal channels of mic bodies available to the DIY crowd.

Hey Ruud, apart from the fact that the bodies aren't exact copies, how would you rate the overall quality?

Well, it showed up on my doorstep today and, um... wow. I'm actually stunned how good it sounds. It's quiet. Full. I was not expecting this. And the body is solid. Feels great. You'll need a Torx T9 screwdriver to open it. (2 screws on the bottom). Here are pics. It looks like speckles on the body but it's the way the light is hitting the matte metallic-ish finish. Capsule deck is cheap plastic.

I'll post an audio clip. I'm definitely doing a video on this.

IMG_7101.jpgIMG_7102.jpgIMG_7103.jpgIMG_7104.jpgIMG_7105.jpgIMG_7106.jpgIMG_7107.jpg

Thanks a lot Wordsushi! (y)

Can you please do a photo of the capsule from behind? Is this body shell made of metal or plastic?

Cheers

It's a small electret stuck in that plastic outer ring. I'll open it up again and get that pic soon.

I believe it is the "KK12" discovered by member kingkorg. Here in the photos it is the right capsule.
It sounds really good for its price, as your sound demo impressively proves. (y)

58563-b42b9d1ddfd591760f22af8a337553bf.jpg58564-3b2ac6335784067990db8a7f75b5f592.jpg

That looks exactly like it. As crazy as this seems, this mic is ridiculous for $54 including shipping.
This is without a doubt a good price!

I paid for two of this capsules about 6€ including shipping.

This is certainly not the best capsule on the planet but for the money it will be hard to find something better.

I have tested them intensively with a tube circuit, really good for the money!

20230324_015218.jpg

Ok so maybe not a good candidate, body-wise for a C414 project, but a great mic as-is for the price. Maybe a 414 PCB would fit zip tied to those "rails"? I've not seen the inside of a real 414 to know, and I don't know anyone making a 414 PCB anyway at the moment outside mic & mod.
Thank you Wordsushi for posting this.

Ok so maybe not a good candidate, body-wise for a C414 project, but a great mic as-is for the price. Maybe a 414 PCB would fit zip tied to those "rails"? I've not seen the inside of a real 414 to know, and I don't know anyone making a 414 PCB anyway at the moment outside mic & mod.
My pleasure. It seems like you could zip tie a pcb to the headbasket rails. You’d probably have to lengthen the wires to the xlr jack to be able to screw that into place first before stuffing the rails down into where they screw into the bottom of the body.

Something reminded me of this thread the other day after popping open the AT 3035.

Same transformer as the KK-C414 Alibaba Special Edition. Hard to fathom that this little transformer sucked ATs profit margins so dry they had to discontinue the mic.

(Not actually my mic or my hand but you get the idea)
15.jpg

So, @neowalla
are these good candidates for a C-414 project?
What about a B ULS or EB version with brass capsule maybe?

M ;)

Attachments

• C-414 body_7795.jpg
    C-414 body_7795.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 7
  • C-414 body_7796.jpg
    C-414 body_7796.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 7
  • akg-c414b_uls_sm.pdf_2.png
    akg-c414b_uls_sm.pdf_2.png
    184.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: