C414 EB P48 build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again guys for all your help on this one, I think I'm sorted now.
3 mics which seem to operate how I want and sound pretty good, they could all be improved but I'm happy with they sound, two as room mics positioned at floor of other room and one as guitar cab mic.

to be fair, those are the main uses I like my real one for, so it sounds like you did a good job!

I like them on acoustic guitar too, and piano.  But I like other mics for almost all of these things a little more.  Still, the C414 is great to have in the mic drawer.

I've seen your msgs, I will take a look at it soon.
Will wind a few different txf, i have all the bits just need to design a pcb for it

also update!!

Sorry ive been busy recording for the last couple of weeks as starting to get really great results with these FETs and Luna.
Let me finish these 3 albums and then i'll have a play with this follower!!!

Does anyone know how much the headbasket affects the sound in similar mics?

Not a C414, but I think the CAD M179 could benefit from a flat headbasket instead of the rounded one it has.

I would say it definitely affects the sound but not as much as having a pucker capsule.
I've put one of my c414 eb p48 in a fet47 type body and one in a c414 style I cant hear any difference when using them on overheads glynn John's style!

I’m thinking of trying an 8532 in a C12A circuit. I’m also thinking of using either a C12VR or C414 XLII capsule (can’t decide which); only because I’ve already 3 of Tim Campbell’s stock capsules, though I may get eventually get a Beesneez or OPR version or both, eventually.

I can’t decide which body to use, but if you can’t tell much of any difference, maybe a a FET 47 size or even smaller is not a bad idea rather than trying to figure a large,  somewhat C414 style body. So maybe, finally a Mohawk body!

I have a couple of 56mm diameter fet47 style bodies, they are long U47 style at the moment but could shorten them.
Xmas time I'll have some time off to take a look if needed.
Normally use 60mm diameter but brass is pretty hard to get at the moment so havent been able to make any 60mm headbasket as I need 63mm diameter solid.

Also happy to make a c414 style body if needed but wouldn't have any switches, for cardioid only mics I dont mind.

Spencerleehorton said:
I would say it definitely affects the sound but not as much as having a pucker capsule.
I've put one of my c414 eb p48 in a fet47 type body and one in a c414 style I cant hear any difference when using them on overheads glynn John's style!
Not really I much I can do then. The RK12 capsules would sound pretty much identical to the capsule already in the M179, and I don't really want to put $400 capsules in $200 mics (this is more about rumours of the M179s failing unexpectedly, in which case I would like my warranty to be valid).

I think the M179s are fine as is anyway, was just curious about whether making the headbasket flatter would be an improvement. I've got about a year and a half left of the warranty, after that I might install a better capsule.

There is a simple adjustment to circuit that turns one of the switches to a DPDT.
You will lose a setting but it is not that important and might be an improvement.

Does anyone see what I am posting about?

Rework the HPF part
get rid of the flat setting and increase the cap value around x2

30 some Hz and 70 some Hz.
The 30 some always being on removes the rumble you can hear

having a little think back to this mic and have deleted the switches and the other patterns, wanted someone to verify whether this would work like this?

Attachments

• AKG C414 EB P48 v3.png
    AKG C414 EB P48 v3.png
    386.5 KB · Views: 64
If you want a cardioid only microphone, you can omit a lot more!

By the way: you left out R10 and R11, you need them to bias the FET (T3).
And I doubt if C8 and C9 still have any function, because they were part of the high-pass filter.

Attachments

• AKG C414 EB P48 v3.png
    AKG C414 EB P48 v3.png
    322.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Something like this:

(I suppose 820K for R10+R11 and 56K for R9 would also work, since it is the same ratio.)

Attachments

• AKG C414 EB P48 v4.PNG
    AKG C414 EB P48 v4.PNG
    201.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Quite fancy the idea of a cardioid 414EB with a Samar capsuIe in it. Got the capsuIe here, Iooking for a home after not feeIing it had a worthy home in the oId white NT1 I tried it in.....watching this cardioid deveIopment with interest.

Quite fancy the idea of a cardioid 414EB with a Samar capsuIe in it. Got the capsuIe here, Iooking for a home after not feeIing it had a worthy home in the oId white NT1 I tried it in.....watching this cardioid deveIopment with interest.
Im just building this circuit. Ive bought AKG teflon capsule (have Samar in my stock too).
This mic is now waiting for Moby´s new U54 (6:1 ratio!!!) transformer.

Attachments

• AKG C414EB - voltages.jpg
    AKG C414EB - voltages.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Latest posts