C800g/Warm audio Capacitor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is one huge contributor to the sound they choose to omit in WA8000. It's a few cents "mechanical part" that contributes to the sound more than any capacitor ever will. It's right up there in importance as the capsule used. The person designing these "clones" is as dumb as they come.

Edit. Actually two few cents parts.
The WA251 also seems notably worse than Microphone-Parts 12-251 mic. There's also the "faithful" 414 clone by Warm that doesn't have a high pass filter or hypercardioid pattern. Granted the C414 doesn't have a whole lot of clones, but CAD and sE Electronics managed to include those features on their utility mics.

The WA251 also seems notably worse than Microphone-Parts 12-251 mic. There's also the "faithful" 414 clone by Warm that doesn't have a high pass filter or hypercardioid pattern. Granted the C414 doesn't have a whole lot of clones, but CAD and sE Electronics managed to include those features on their utility mics.
How is it notably worse? It seems to have a better capsule, tube and probably transformer. Warm also follows the correct pattern switching (all be it using relays).

How is it notably worse? It seems to have a better capsule, tube and probably transformer. Warm also follows the correct pattern switching (all be it using relays).
Better capsule according to who? At the end of the day it's still a Chinese capsule that's attempting to mimick a CK12, but it's still built like a K67. The 12-251 from Mic-Parts sounds better to my ears and there's a comparison on YouTube where an engineer who has multiple vintage 251s prefers the Mic-Parts mic to the WA251. I think it's smoother and responds better to transients. As awesome as I think the 3U mics are, and apparently Warm uses their capsules, I don't think that Warm products are all that great, however I think 3U's stuff is phenomenal (so I'm guessing if it is 3U components it's being tuned or built differently). I can think of another manufacturer of premium clones which has capsules that cost $200-300 that sound worse than $30 Chinese capsules, with quite a few capsules bought from them having damaged diaphragms. Said company gets great reviews from tons of people and has a bunch of mics that cost well over $1000, but compare pretty poorly to cheaper similar mics. I can think of a U87 "clone" made by that microphone lab a lot of people have said good things about that sounds really smeary when it comes to handling transients when recording instruments. Said lab's C414 clone also sounds really sibilant, probably moreso than a lot of $100 mics, and their C12 clone is even brighter than that.

I’m currently upgrading my Warm audio WA8000 and am trying to upgrade the capacitor that comes after the capsule to the Vishay ERO MKP 1840 (this seems to be the one people are saying is in the c800). I’m pretty new to reading schematics/ electronics in general and I’m stuck on what capacitor would make the most sense. I’ve found a Vishay 1840 rated at 630v (warm stock is 400v) and a Vishay 1841 MKP ERO rated at 400v with 5% less tolerance (warm stock is 10%). Anyone have any idea which is correct? What does the ERO mean? Thanks!View attachment 92656
According to your post, you have no idea what you are talking about in regards to a Sony c800g but somehow you are offering a 1:1 modification service claiming to use what is inside a Sony c800g? The capacitor shown here is 100% not the one in a real Sony c800g, so it's doubtful that anything else you are using is correct as well. Pretending to know what you are talking about regarding a real Sony c800g is going to lead to a lot of upset customers when they find out that they were mislead. You haven't seen or touched the inside of a real Sony c800g and it's clear by the parts you are using. Let people know that you are just guessing!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 10.24.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 10.24.52 AM.png
    692.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 10.32.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 10.32.08 AM.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 46
According to your post, you have no idea what you are talking about in regards to a Sony c800g but somehow you are offering a 1:1 modification service claiming to use what is inside a Sony c800g? The capacitor shown here is 100% not the one in a real Sony c800g, so it's doubtful that anything else you are using is correct as well. Pretending to know what you are talking about regarding a real Sony c800g is going to lead to a lot of upset customers when they find out that they were mislead. You haven't seen or touched the inside of a real Sony c800g and it's clear by the parts you are using. Let people know that you are just guessing!
Hello!! Do you know what capacitor is in the C800G?

Back