C800g/Warm audio Capacitor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dimitridask

I’m currently upgrading my Warm audio WA8000 and am trying to upgrade the capacitor that comes after the capsule to the Vishay ERO MKP 1840 (this seems to be the one people are saying is in the c800). I’m pretty new to reading schematics/ electronics in general and I’m stuck on what capacitor would make the most sense. I’ve found a Vishay 1840 rated at 630v (warm stock is 400v) and a Vishay 1841 MKP ERO rated at 400v with 5% less tolerance (warm stock is 10%). Anyone have any idea which is correct? What does the ERO mean? Thanks!2054087F-3909-4F13-B310-D349A5482090.png

Attachments

• A3B9608E-EE2D-4B47-B978-79D4855E0180.png
    A3B9608E-EE2D-4B47-B978-79D4855E0180.png
    189.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 9E5C7B32-5A9F-416C-8FD7-D9E337F9ED36.png
    9E5C7B32-5A9F-416C-8FD7-D9E337F9ED36.png
    108.1 KB · Views: 33
I would keep the Wima cap that is in there. Both it and the Vishay are metallized polypropylene capacitors anyway. And Wima makes high quality capacitors. If something was wrong with the sound of the microphone I wouldn't suspect the cap. Changing it won't make the Warm Audio clone sound like the Sony, if that is what you are after.

There is one huge contributor to the sound they choose to omit in WA8000. The person designing these "clones" is as dumb as they come.

Last edited:
To lean closer to the original question...
You may already know you could swap a higher volt rated cap (but not a lower voltage). But more often then not, a higher voltage cap of same or similar design will be larger in size. So make sure you careful check the measurements on the data sheet.

The photo’s you posted are of different uf. One is 1.0 uf while the other is 0.1uf. I’m not familiar with the circuit you are modding but unless you totally understand the math involved for why the designer chose the original value, you won’t want to change it.

A quick search didn’t reveal to me what Vishay means by ERO. It may be helpful to know that every capacitor company will have a bunch of almost similar model caps but are differentiated (or should i say optimized) to perform better in a specific circuit. Some may be built to perform better in power supply switching circuits while others perform the same all the way up to MHZ land at high voltage while other’s aren’t linear in one way or another when challenged with high voltage that high in frequency. It may seam all that shouldn’t matter to us in Audio circuit land since Audio doesn’t have that bandwidth, but you never know. I’ve had a few preamp circuits change drastically for the better with a cap replaced that shouldn’t have made any difference based on the data sheet, while caps that should have improved the audio only exchanged one advantage by taking another away.

My point basically is any cap change is going to be circuit dependent as to how much the audio is altered. I’ve found it more useful to ask what circuit a person used a cap in when they said they prefer it over another. In the end, the only way you’ll know is trying it and living with it for around 100 hours to know if you like the trade-offs.
Don’t forget, different sound doesn’t mean it’s better, it just means it sounds different.

Cheers,
Jake

A dual bobbin D lam transformer?
I would look other places in the microphone the cap is not were I would start

Last edited:
To lean closer to the original question...
You may already know you could swap a higher volt rated cap (but not a lower voltage). But more often then not, a higher voltage cap of same or similar design will be larger in size. So make sure you careful check the measurements on the data sheet.

The photo’s you posted are of different uf. One is 1.0 uf while the other is 0.1uf. I’m not familiar with the circuit you are modding but unless you totally understand the math involved for why the designer chose the original value, you won’t want to change it.

A quick search didn’t reveal to me what Vishay means by ERO. It may be helpful to know that every capacitor company will have a bunch of almost similar model caps but are differentiated (or should i say optimized) to perform better in a specific circuit. Some may be built to perform better in power supply switching circuits while others perform the same all the way up to MHZ land at high voltage while other’s aren’t linear in one way or another when challenged with high voltage that high in frequency. It may seam all that shouldn’t matter to us in Audio circuit land since Audio doesn’t have that bandwidth, but you never know. I’ve had a few preamp circuits change drastically for the better with a cap replaced that shouldn’t have made any difference based on the data sheet, while caps that should have improved the audio only exchanged one advantage by taking another away.

My point basically is any cap change is going to be circuit dependent as to how much the audio is altered. I’ve found it more useful to ask what circuit a person used a cap in when they said they prefer it over another. In the end, the only way you’ll know is trying it and living with it for around 100 hours to know if you like the trade-offs.
Don’t forget, different sound doesn’t mean it’s better, it just means it sounds different.

Cheers,
Jake
Thanks for taking the time to write this! Interesting how no one seems to know what the ERO means. I’ll keep looking into it. Just curious now what the difference would be between the 1840 and 1841. Just looking around eBay and stuff it looks like the 1840 might not have correct specs to fit into the mic build, yet that’s what I see as people saying is in the Sony model. Do you think the 5% tolerance difference in the cap would alter anything? That being going from 10% to 5%?

There is one huge contributor to the sound they choose to omit in WA8000. It's a few cents "mechanical part" that contributes to the sound more than any capacitor ever will. It's right up there in importance as the capsule used. The person designing these "clones" is as dumb as they come.

Edit. Actually two few cents parts.
Agreed. Do you know if the one in the Sony is 1840 or 1841? Very strange how they didn’t make that tiny leap to atleast match this specific capacitor! I’m also replacing the capsule with a genuine Sony one, so hoping to see how close I can get this mic to c800g.

Back