Calibrating the LA2A

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrigotti

I have been working on calibrating my recently completed LA2A.

I am not sure how to approach this.

So far, I have found that from about 500hz to 8000hz, the compression it pretty even.

It starts to taper off a few db under 500hz. Less compression as it approaches 20hz. Actually I like that. It seems to make my bass PHATTER.

from 8000hz up, I have it adjusted to compress only a few db less than at lower frequencies (1000-8000). I know this may be a taste thing, but how do you all like to set this up, and if there are different approaches for different instruments, what do you like to do?

Thank!

The "frequency emphasis" of the compression depends mostly opon the capacitance of the cap in your T4. The higher the capacitance the lower (frequency) the emphasis of compression. I generally like compression to follow the higher frequencies to allow for a more "natural" sounding compression that doesn't get choked by loud lower frequency material. I feel the same way when compressing kick drums as well. For percussion the slow attack of elop compressors really lets transients through and sound natural, and the emphasis on higher frequencies compresses more of the 3, 5 and 7K "click" while letting the low end thump come out.

I experimented with different capacitances (switching between several), and while it made a difference it wasn't HUGELY noticable, but fun nonetheless :grin:. I'm really of the opinion that elop compressors should be "natural sounding." I've kind of gravitated towards this decision more or less after playing around with the crane song trakker (not an elop, but a PWM) and fell in love with the transparent compression (you can freakin' compress the hell out of something without even knowing it--you can hardly hear any of the crap that usually accompanies high compression.) It's colored in it's own way, but the compression is smoooooooooooooooooove like butta~ (Listening to my LA2 after listening the trakker makes me think of a tire pump--sightly exaggeration)

OK, that's a bit of a tangent, but take what I say with a grain of salt, as I'm one of maybe 2 people I know that HATE (absolutely detest!!!) the sound of 1176's. I'm very much on the side of "compression shouldn't be heard" school of thought.

that probably doesn't help much, but I've had a few Sunday afternoon :sam: :sam: :sam: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: today so excuse me! :cool:

Latest posts

Back