Can anyone explain what is going on here with the modification?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUDIO FREQ

GDIY Supporter
This is a picture of an old BLA modded Digidesign 002r audio interface.

There are capacitors twisted here, I believe they are os-con.

And then there is the jumper wire coming off the LM2586s on the left.

What in nirvana is going on here?

Attachments

• s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
The Os-cons have been soldered in at a position where you would expect the PSU to connect, so it's likely these are additional power bypass caps. I know they used these caps everywhere in their first Sparrow unit (incidentally, the only BLA converter I liked the sound of, a very simple, no nonsense design with strong power filtering but a fatal flaw that lead to premature death of a regulator).

The white wire looks like it's attached to the regulator's voltage input, but said pin looks like it is still connected to the PCB. So either they cut the original voltage input to the board somewhere else (input connector?) and routed a different, probably filtered power line there or this is merely going to another bypass cap (bad practice with the long line).

A major album supposedly recorded and mixed with a BLA modded interface (not going to say which one) to my ears has one of the most strangely artifical sound I have ever heard. Their mods to existing designs may very well introduce problems that people misinterpret as improvements. You can actually do a lot of harm by adding decoupling caps and changing op amps...

Latest posts

Back