Can you help me identify my first Fender Amp?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

This is all I can remember about it.

It was combo format bought around 65/66, but might have been in stock longer, it had a coarse weave speaker cloth with chrome strands in it, rest black tolex.

I think it had twin speakers but I was not impressed with the magnets, they were the square open folded steel type.

It had a tremolo and reverb and was probably blackface.  It might have had metal tubes.

I can't remember much more because I traded it in for a PA system within a year.

Best
DaveP

two 10" speakers 50W : vibrolux
two 12" speakers 50W: pro reverb
two 12" speakers 100W: twin reverb

If you remember it being heavy as all hell it was probably a twin.

not impressed with the magnets, they were the square open folded steel type
In 65/66 they were switching from Jensen speakers to Oxford/Rola to lower costs and most disliked the change

Thanks Guys,

I guess it was a vibrolux, it was not that big, it had two channels because my friend played through the other channel.
Not that there was a choice, where I lived back then, it was the only Fender in the shop I think, and it would have been an export model for 240V, it may have even been a greenish grey tolex too, come to think of it.

DaveP

Too many to contemplate:

http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/

"Time Line" may narrow-down what models it would NOT be.

Metal tubes are totally unlikely in the 1960s. However Fender used a lot of metal shields on their little tubes, which a youth may not have investigated.

how old were you?

could you pick it up?

the twin reverb gives most people a hernia, the pro is a lot lighter and the vibrolux  probably a tad lighter than that,

I have found my second hire purchase card where the monthly payments I made were recorded.

This is February 1965 and I was 15 and I could pick it up.  :) It said the value of goods purchased was £35.7.0  (£35.35)  So I would have bought it in 1964 as there was £20 left to pay in Feb 65.

At this time the Pound Dollar rate was fixed at 2.8  so my total purchase was $99,  I don't know whether this was just the amp or my first electric guitar as well.  Maybe some of you will know what that would have bought you back then in the US? 

I remember it had a foot switch that you could use to turn the reverb on and off, the back was open so the upside down tubes and grotty speakers  were visible.  The front speaker cloth was very sparkly.

Looking at the Fender field guide, it could also have been an end of line Vibroverb.

Thanks for your help

DaveP

Vibroverb with 2 ten inch spearkers would have been brown (1963 less than 500 made very rare).  The black face black vibroverb had a single 15inch speaker. Made 1 year only 1964.  Both a 2 switch pedal for verb and vibrato

Back