Can you suggest an easy and inexpensive way? Triggering LEDS with drum trigger

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mbira said:
I like this idea!  This would be doable with my equipment.  If I'm understanding, this would be like building a "feedback detector"?

While I don't know what this has to do with the original question.. here is how to do feedback detector.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=YrwaAAAAEBAJ&dq=john+roberts+visual+indication+of+feedback

Back in the '80s I did several midi control products (at Peavey) and we even sold a relay box that could be controlled by midi, surely this stuff is still out there. As I recall the relay box, hung off some other product so it was not a very cost effective solution, even if you could still find one.

JR 

JohnRoberts said:
While I don't know what this has to do with the original question.. here is how to do feedback detector.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=YrwaAAAAEBAJ&dq=john+roberts+visual+indication+of+feedback

Hi,

Use of feedback-detector to answer Mbiras need as explained earlier on in this thread.

The JR-patent a possible circuit for the implementation. (while already economical, maybe even less soldering and/or cheaper with a circuit that uses a BJT i.s.o. the opamp ?)

Maybe JR can help Mbira with component values for each band ?

Bye,

Peter

I suspect I charge way too much for my circuit design services (if I was even looking for work),  :D but it seems there should be some off the shelf solution.

I recall midi to relay closure decades ago... while not very cheap.  The specific box was called an EAC-8, but that was just the relays, and needed to plug into another piece of midi rack gear, to control the relays. A lot of work for a few LEDs.

This could probably be accomplished with a $2 PIC and a few transistors, but I don't write custom code either. Midi is pretty mature, have you done an exhaustive search, maybe look at some obsolete gear?

JR

Yeah, It seems like this is much more complex than what I'm needing.  I figured it'd be easy to have something receive a midi signal and light an LED.  Eventually, we'll be going the midi/dmx converter way for a light show at which time I can probably easily impliment this with mini lightbulbs.  In the meantime, I just need to use my memory.

Well I'm a little further along on this journey...

I must say that I'm very impressed with Ableton and their customer support.  They have been generally fast to answer and willing to talk about something that is clearly outside of their normal product line...

Anyway, it looks like There is a built in midi feedback message that occurs whenever these clips are triggered.  Here is the response I got:

Live will respond with the following MIDI messages when a message has been mapped on a clip:

a) clip has been triggered but is not yet playing:

message type: NOTE ON
velocity: 126

b) clip is playing:

velocity: 127

c) clip is looping:

velocity: 1

d) clip has been stopped:

message type: NOTE OFF
velocity: 0

The note number as well as the MIDI channel are always identical with the note/channel you mapped on the clip.

The get the feedback sent from Live, simply enable the "REMOTE" button on one of the MIDI output ports (in the MIDI/SYNC preferences pane).

If you own Max/MSP or have a friend who can program a stand-alone Max patch for you, then you could build a simple patch which displays a large LED that responds to the aforementioned MIDI messages from Live.

I have made these feedback notes work...now it seems like just a matter of converting these messages into voltage that can control LEDs?

Back