car parts question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

I need to order some parts for a ford. Price difference between dealer and online is >$100 so thinking about online order and I do want to keep it OEM and not counterfeit.

Does anyone know of a trustworthy online company that sells OEM ford parts?

Gus said:
I need to order some parts for a ford. Price difference between dealer and online is >$100 so thinking about online order and I do want to keep it OEM and not counterfeit.

Does anyone know of a trustworthy online company that sells OEM ford parts?

I am an old Ford guy and recently did a bunch of much needed work on my 23 year old Ford ('97 mustang cobra). I made no attempt to find FOMOCO (autolite, yadda yadda) parts, if they were even available.

I didn't buy the cheapest components I could find, or most expensive, some of the speciality (mustang) websites are crazy expensive, but I ended up spending hundreds of dollars from a handful of mass market auto component suppliers, Auto Zone, Rock Auto, etc ( lots of parts, sparks plugs, wires, 4x O2 sensors, PCV valve, etc). 

The original equipment O2 sensors look like they used different upstream and down stream sensors (the old parts had two different color coded connectors). The replacement parts supplied same O2 sensor for upstream and downstream (perhaps the technology improved in the decades since, or not). The motor is very happy with the new (same) O2 sensors, and general tune up that was past dues.

I almost forgot how quick my daily driver was....  8)  but I still only drive it once a week.  ::)

I was past due for new tires also.... I didn't buy Ford tires, but the new Continentals feel noticeably better on the highway (quieter and better lateral grip).

JR

PS: A huge PIA is finding correct part numbers to order... especially for older limited production models like the Cobra... In the course of troubleshooting some low temperature misbehavior I replaced the two temperature sending units, and only then discovered different part number sending units on left and right heads. Actually had different connectors so same parts can't plug into the wiring harness on both sides. Apparently one sensor feeds the dashboard temp meter, the other feeds the ECU.  I was suspicious of the ECU getting bad data and not feeding a richer mix when cold... now years later, the new O2 sensors have corrected that cold temp running lean symptom. 

If you look on some vehicle specific forums, there will usually be some recommendations for places to get parts from.
Some auto dealerships are actually on theebay  and they can have some good prices if you come across them. 
I actually lucked out and found a Uhaul seller who had all kinds of oem parts for my truck as well. Guess some of these places are clearing inventory of stuff ..

Yes, making sure to get the correct parts is a challenge more often than it should be sometimes...

scott2000 said:
If you look on some vehicle specific forums, there will usually be some recommendations for places to get parts from.
Some auto dealerships are actually on theebay  and they can have some good prices if you come across them. 
I actually lucked out and found a Uhaul seller who had all kinds of oem parts for my truck as well. Guess some of these places are clearing inventory of stuff ..

Yes, making sure to get the correct parts is a challenge more often than it should be sometimes...
I still haven't sourced all the water hoses for my engine compartment. I replaced a couple hoses still one that I didn't find. A couple years ago when my fan belt disintegrated*** I decided to do hoses too.

JR

***It was a challenge driving the car across town without the power steering assist working.  :eek:

Back