CASIO DH 100 repair - Removing the squeak

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock soderstrom

Tour de France
I have recently repaired 3x Casio DH 100 and 200. These (toy) digital horns from the 80s are cult and can also be connected to other sound generators via the MIDI Out - mega fun.
1000035002.jpg

I can't play the saxophone at all, but you get to grips with these instruments relatively quickly. They are real sound machines, I was really surprised by these plastic bomber!:love:

As for repairs, they all have the same problem most of the time - they just start to uncontrolled squeak after a while.

The culprit is a small SMT capacitor that dries out and really stinks like hell when removed - a really disgusting fishy smell. I've never had it this bad, only my special acetone (nail polish remover with perfume in it) helps. :cool:

1000035005.jpg

The capacitor C39 is a 33uf type with 63V, but less voltage is also possible. You don't need a SMT replacement, normal TTH cap also works, as there are plated-through holes next to the solder pads.
1000034994.jpg
1000034995.jpg

Easy fix but heads up, do not mess up the screw head of the countersunk screw at the lower end! Big PIA.
1000035066.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting timing.

We just days ago hosted an international star of the Classical flute world on her 75th birthday; she'd been given a gag gift by a freind, of a 'musical box' with a cheap plastic recorder, harmonica, music book, etc.

While she was fiddling about with the recorder, I remembered my Casio DH-100 and slowly came upstairs while playing it. She immediately said "What's that?!, I gotta try that!"

Folks, she went bananas on the thing for a couple of hours. "Oh my God, this is amazing. I'm giving up the flute; I'm changing careers", and on it went - couldn't put the thing down. "I'll give you a hundred dollars for it".

So just yesterday, after she went home, I bought one on ebay, and will do the cap replacement even if it's working fine. My wife will take it with her when she visits said flutist in a couple of months as a belated birthday present.

Last edited:
I really 'over-modded' mine - replaced the driver with a high quality full range unit, cut off the phony bell, lined the interior with modelling clay to deaden the body, put polyfill in it, painted it black (the black models hadn't come out yet).

Unfortunate byproduct though is that it's now so heavy it's uncomfortable to play for very long🤪.

Last edited:
Interesting timing.

We just days ago hosted an international star of the Classical flute world on her 75th birthday; she'd been given gag gift of a 'musical box' with a cheap plastic recorder, harmonica, music book, etc.

While she was fiddle about with the recorder, I remembered my Casio DH-100 and slowly came upstairs while playing it. She immediately said "What's that?!, I gotta try that!"

Folks, she went bananas on the thing for a couple of hours. "Oh my God, this is amazing. I'm giving up the flute; I'm changing careers", and on it went - couldn't put the thing down. "I'll give you a hundred dollars for it".
That's really interesting, I also learned to play the flute a long time ago and quickly got to grips with the Casio horn. It's really easy to play and really fun.
and will do the cap replacement even if it's working fine.
good idea, turn on your fan and open a window, the capacitors really do smell remarkably bad!

I really 'over-modded' mine - replaced the driver with a high quality full range unit, cut off the phony bell, lined the interior with modelling clay to deaden the body, put polyfill in it, painted it black (the black models hadn't come out yet).

Unfortunate byproduct though is that it's now so heavy it's uncomfortable to play for very long.
Wow!

Latest posts

Back