charging coils built into roadways to charge EVs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
I have been speculating about this for years. MI has announced that they have contracted a firm to build an energized roadway that will charge EVs parked or riding on the roadways.

This is an Israeli firm ElectReon currently doing projects in Israel, Sweden, Germany, and Italy.

Apparently they use inductive coils buried under the road surface. Of course cars will need to be capable of charging that way.

It seems this technology makes sense for business parking lots, or even garage floors.

JR

I wonder how a flood or heavy rain will effect it? Or pot holes. Should be interesting.

There are inductive coils and probably buried at least a foot or so down. I could imagine a problem in cold climates from frost heaves... but this is most likely to be an inner city program to be EV friendly in densely populated areas.

Many stop light vehicle present detectors use buried coils to detect the cars.

Might be fun to see if a light weight electric scooter works.

JR

My father's and my old dentist had his office on a busy road and he used to fill our appointments talking about building an electric coil around River Road and harvesting a bit of inductance from everyone going by in cars all day. He had plans and stuff, back in the 1980s!

Wont a transformer with a 1ft air gap core have horrific efficiency? Seems like the laws of physics are not in favor of this unless I am missing something obvious :D

There are inductive coils and probably buried at least a foot or so down. I could imagine a problem in cold climates from frost heaves... but this is most likely to be an inner city program to be EV friendly in densely populated areas.

Many stop light vehicle present detectors use buried coils to detect the cars.

Might be fun to see if a light weight electric scooter works.

JR

Well they don't detect my motorcycle half the time.

A simple cable is probably cheaper, easier to maintain and would use less copper.

Pluging a connector to your car doesn't take that long compared to the transfer of energy from the network to your battery.

I bet it's going to be like the solar roadways...

Cheers,

Thomas

I checked out the website of the company doing this, they seem long on promise and short on how it will work... (buried copper coils) is the only technology described.

Companies are already using variants on this inductive energy transfer to charge personal phones and the like, EV owners would love to have a charging coil in the floor of their garage.

I think the original Tesla (inventor) suggested transmitting energy through the air but apparently took that technology with him to the grave. In the past I speculated about conductive tires and road surfaces, but induction is neater.

JR

3-s2.0-B9780128114070000386-f34-39-9780128114070.jpg

mo info= paper about power transfer

Massod4-1.png

Coincidentally a resonant inductive CPT system. (Source: Wikimedia Commons) Contactless Power Transfer (CPT) was introduced to the world in the 1890's, after successful experiments by Nikola Tesla, EVs are almost that old.

JR

Back