cheap alice mic housing

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterR

Im going to try using these

http://www.musicianswarehouse.com.au/default.aspx?Pg=21&ProductCode=XM1800S

as housings for some Alice mics. I figure at $65AUD for 3 which includes xlr connector, mesh top/pop foam and a nifty case that holds all 3 mics I probably cant go wrong. I think ill keep 1 mic standard for a comparison and to use a trash mic for effecty-low-fi-nasty vocals.

can anyone see any problems before i jump in? the transsound capsules are only about 16mm dia so will fit easy, gonna use scotts method of shockmounting shown on his website.

Peter

Send one of the transformers you pull out of those to CJ. Just so we can see what a truly aweful tranny is made of. :razz:

To your question, you shouldn't have any problem mounting the Alice guts inside one of those bodies if you are cutting your own perfboard, although its a squeeze in the copper pipe and those bodies will have less room. You might have to reconfigure the layout to be a bit longer and less wide. Make sure you get a good ground connection to the body.

Oh man... There is just something cool about having a mic made out of 1" copper pipe. I don't want to jinx it's life by building an Alice in a Behringer body.

thanks guys, ill let you know how it goes.

If I cant fit the guts in ill just grab some copper pipe ($25) and nick the pop screens and connectors from the b#@%^&er mics. Still got a case to hold 3 mics in and I dont have to make the pop screens (shudder).

Were I live there is a Store called the "Dollar Store" which sells Crappy Dynamic Mics for $3 each and I have been useing the Bodies of these Mics for building Electret Mics and they also Come with a XLR Connector and an On/Off switch so if you Happen to live in canada or know someone in canada you can find these Mics pretty easilly...The only thing is the Bodoes of the Mics are Made from a Hard Plastic not metal but they work for me and at that Price they can not be beat....

Cheers

Back